1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transferwise, and in general the modern world...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lessthanorequalto, May 13, 2019.

1. lessthanorequalto

lessthanorequalto New commenter

Hi all,

I'm just preparing to leave the UK for the second (and maybe final!) time. Last adventure was to China in 2008 for 4 years, and at that point I didn't even have a smartphone... A few questions:

I'm off to Spain, and have just set up a borderless account with Transferwise. Has anyone been using this service and how do you find it?

More generally, are there any other apps or modern thingys that have come into existence in the last decade that you find useful as an overseas teacher?

Thanks,

A young gen x'er/elder millenial.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i have used it....its great, no issues at all.

and i'm no millennial;)

3. Louise1139

Louise1139 New commenter

Agreed, transferwise is excellent.

I’m finding the difference between my impending next move and first move, not long after you, is huge due to the ease of connecting with people already in the community in advance via social media groups for the area and then WhatsApp.

Also the improvements in google translate app and any of the apps that scan and translate written text are so helpful when grappling with a new language or receiving written letters/ reading signs - I remember painstakingly typing them in to translate almost a decade ago! I can’t imagine going back a decade more how hard it must have been without any of that.

Other than that, having the local public transport and taxi app before you go.

4. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I use Transferwise to move money from the UK to France and so far, no problems.

5. lessthanorequalto

lessthanorequalto New commenter

Thanks for your replies, seems like a thumbs up for transferwise, and some good tips! Hadn't thought about the transport app, and language learning is definitely so accessible, plugging away on Duolingo and Memrise to give me a bit of a headstart... Chinese character translation would have been so useful.

6. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Transferwise is great, you can also get a debit card from them which is really useful.

7. Bytor

Bytor Occasional commenter

Have used Transferwise to exchange and send cash to and from the UK.

Have recently set up a borderless account to receive non-Sterling salary in our next post.

You can hold multiple currency accounts which also provide details for others to pay in.

The debit card is useful, and has advantages to others. Unfortunately, it cannot be used in all countries that accept Mastercard, due to some local regulations or some such

8. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Would love to use trnsferwise but it doesn’t support Kuwait.