1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

transferrable skills of a teacher...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklyeyes, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I know that as a teacher I have many skills that are transferrable. However, when applying for jobs outside of teaching I am (almost) at a loss at how to actually write them up? Hope this makes sense. What I want to know is this - are there people/agencies/career advisors that we are able to go to to get good advice on how to write a really good CV/covering letter?
    I live just north of Manchester so if there is anywhere that you know of I can investigate further.

Thanks in advance.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Wigan has a skills centre in the Grand Arcade that offer a CV service, other town may have them? A few online companies will also offer this service (for a fee)
    Skills: Organization, Prioritising, Good People Skills, Ability to deal with a range of 'customers' (children, parents, other staff), Flexible, ICT skills... LOADS more too x

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

What about your base qualification?
    What are you, artist, scientist, mathematician?

4. I've taught History and English in the nine years that I've been a teacher. I also mark GCSE History.

5. No, really.
    There are a hundred applicants for anything you apply for, who have hands-on, direct recent experience of exactly the post you are interested in, not some waffly experience you picked up in a completely different job.
    Never has a huger myth been perpetrated than the value of "transferable skills" in a jobs market dominated by employers.
    Sorry to rain on your parade but I received that advice the day I left teaching at the job centre, and ot was borne out by every interview I got for ages thereafter, all of which were for less than half the salary I left on.

6. littlemissraw

What jobs do you fancy? You could look at education in museums? x

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I came across a company called Fullers the other day who do a cv service. i think it was 150 squids for a cv but if you send them your cv by email, they will phone you and give ypou some advice, obviously hoping that you will ask them to write it.

www.thefullercv.com

8. Have you seen how many of those jobs are advertised per year? And how many History/Archaeology students go for them? For peanuts?

9. littlemissraw

Quite a ray of sunshine today aren't you?
    ALL jobs are hard to get at the moment it doesn't mean its not worth trying x

10. Knock yourself out, pollyanna.

11. Some university careers services can offer advice on a 'consultancy' basis to though not all. Depending on how long ago you graduated could you go back to your univ? Fees around £100/150 but this can include access to their careers library for limited number of visits also.

12. lurk_much

Have you considered retraining as a plumber or electrician? Some parts of their jobs are getting quite complex now. Having a heaad on your neck is a definite advantage.

13. TBH, I can't see that there are that many transferable skills in terms of "job skills". I mean, what jobs are there that require you to get 30 recalcitrant teens quiet and listening and learning stuff because you have explained it well.
    Maybe the ability to organise and plan, but I'm sure there's loads of people like that.
    I'd be stuffed if I tried another job.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

When I joined my current company some years ago my previous teaching experience was attractive and I happened to be in the right place at the right time (I applied as a volunteer and was offered paid sessional work).

I had to start at the bottom and work up (I'm still on less than half of what I'd be paid in teaching), I work with some very challenging people and Home Office paperwork is never ending.

I think I had very few transferable skills realistically and I've learned far, far more over the last 7 years than I learned in education. In fact when my company took me on I was being turned down for minimum wage jobs. I'm grateful to have had this opportunity post teaching,to be honest.

15. As a professional teacher of many years standing you have proven record of producing paperwork and collecting evidence to an every changing government standard. You can work under pressure with the most demanding clients and keep your calm in every situation. You spend the majority of your time identifying a need and finding a solution to it - including allowing for the differing abilities and understanding of all of those people involved. You can problem solve and explain the resolution to people in a variety of ways which you can make all seem of a similar level of difficulty. You work until the job is done and will accept nothing but the best for your clients. Your english grammar and spelling is outstanding (unlike mine which after an evening in the pub is dubious). You have the capacity to understand the needs of the people you work with - whether this is a strict talking to or a metaphorical hug.

If you really want a job, you can find a way of making your cv work

16. BUT, and I appreciate how negative it sounds but I've been there, there are plenty of other applicants who have done all that in precisely the job situation advertised.
    Never underestimate the perception that teachers have been pampered with short days, long holidays and extensive sick leave.

17. Oh I agree entirely - have this erm full frank and open discussion with my hubby on a regular basis, however I genuinely believe (from previous experience) that you can sell yourself into any role - after all someone fell for it and employed me to complete my GTP when all of my experience was in insurance and my only experience of children were my own little (cough) angels...but, and this is a big but, you need to know what you want and why (and be passionate about it).Oh and you need to be prepared to accept a lot of rejections too.

18. lurk_much

what is wrong with plumbing?

19. The poo puts me off.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Imo, that's the bottom line. That, and being over qualified.
    I think some trades could be a good move. There's a market for female tradespeople.
    I did hear a story (genuine) of a male teacher who jacked in the teaching and became a cleaner; a near naked cleaner. He is apparently making a fortune cleaning the homes of wealthy-but-bored women.