1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transferable skills??

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TEA2111, Nov 28, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I am looking at applying for a Welfare Officer role ("...tackling underachievement by working in partnership with families and staff to enable children to have full access to educational opportunities and overcome barriers to learning and participation). The candidate must be able to demonstrate good interpersonal skills, resilience and the ability to work under pressure."

I am currently teaching primary. How do 'sell' myself with no previous experience in such a role?

Thank you for any suggestions/thoughts/ideas.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Come on, @TEA2111 !

I would have thought that a Primary teacher has very useful experience of all 3 of those!

Get a piece of paper, draw 3 vertical columns, put a header at the top of each. Then think hard of examples of doing things that illustrate each of those. Bet you'll think of loads!

On a more general note, have you read all the advice about applying for jobs? Lots of it, most of it, is equally applicable to non-teaching posts. Especially the bits about E.S.

Tag me here like this @TheoGriff if you need to be pointed in the right direction.

Best wishes

3. TEA2111

You are very kind TheoGriff...thank you.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You have worked with children, a variety of colleagues and parents to secure the best possible progress for the children in your class. You have liaised with a number of external agencies. You have gained a deep awareness of the diffculties of children who have problems learning and are aware of the barriers that prevent full participation. You have used.... strategies to assist students and their parents to overcome these barriers.
    If you have remained as a teacher for more than about 10 minutes, you have demonstrated resilience when getting to work every day on time even though you have a stinking cold, by working with children, politicians (and colleagues?) who attempt to subvert your plans for the day and going in the next day with a smile on your face. You have dealt with the heavy workload and met all the deadlines.
    best wishes
    P

TEA2111 likes this.
  6. TEA2111

Spot on phlogiston...thank you!!