1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transferable skills from secondary - what to expect in a SEN school interview

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by kirstenly, Mar 30, 2016.

1. kirstenly

kirstenly New commenter

Hi, Currently a secondary head of history - looking to move in to special education - funding self through the NASENCO and have seen several jobs that look particularly interesting, including an SLT position at a PRU school (medical not behavioural) and a few general class teacher roles in special educational schools.
    What I'd like to know is, would a secondary teacher with middle management experience but as yet limited SEN experience, who is funding themselves through the SENCO to gain more expertise, be an attractive option when hiring? During the interview process, what would be expected? Would there be a lesson and maybe an in-tray task as well as the interview? Also, what kind of questions might come up for a special school post? Any help or advice in starting to apply for these roles would be much appreciated..

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I actually don't think the NASENCO accreditation is the best prep for working with students with SEND although as you are no doubt experiencing it does give you an opportunity to read, research and consider key aspects of inclusion. I think if I were looking to appoint I would want some kind of robust evidence that the interviewee had had success in working with, managing, supporting and accomodating students with a range of difficulties and disabilities. I have no experience of PRUs accomodating students with medical needs (this a new to me ) but if you are looking at a management position then you would need to demonstrate the kind of skills you have exercised in your mainstream environment backed with a sound knowledge base. It is hard to anticipate what kind of tasks / questions who would be set / asked as much would depend on the setting, the nature of the students ( the SEND definition is wide reaching ) and the responsibilty you were undertaking.

3. oggs26

oggs26 New commenter

For me I am deputy within an ESBD for us it is about connecting with the young people and being able to teach in a variety of ways. As for interviews you will get asked what have you done in a situation when child hasn't engaged, what was successful etc. Another key feature I would look for is someone who knows and understands about attachment although more specific for the young people we have currently. Hope this helps Claire

4. cliff0T

cliff0T New commenter

I am due to start teaching in a special school next term after being Head of Maths & Computing in a mainstream middle school (9-13). For the interview I had two written tasks, an interview with children, a 30-45 minute lesson, and a formal interview. I have no formal special needs training, just my experiences of working with SEND pupils in my class teacher and middle leadership roles.