1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TRANSFER FROM SECONDARY TO PRIMARY & GETTING INTO LEADERSHIP?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by amir8586, May 23, 2019.

1. amir8586

amir8586 New commenter

Dear all,

I am wanting to transfer from secondary teaching into primary, how hard will this be? i've 8 years of secondary education experience and want to get into a leadership role within the primary setting. I don't think I can apply via the gov website for future leaders as I do not officially have a current leadership title as we have a divisional structure in my school and not a subject departmental structure. I am doing all the duties a HOD would do and feel I have more than the required experience.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction please? any advise would be great.
    Many thanks.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Try and get a job as a primary teacher, once you’re successful, learn what you can, gain experience and develop credibility, then apply for leadership posts.

Simple!

Piranha, DYNAMO67, MissKitCat and 3 others like this.
  3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Trouble is, primary teachers have to know the difference between a verb and a noun.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Everybody displays minor irregularities or "errors" in their language sometimes.
    No one of us is perfect.
    I'm not sure if your comment is irrelevant or risky.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

It's very relevant. Primary teachers have to be able to teach the whole range of subjects, from english to maths, art to PSHE,computing to history and everything else in between! The move from Secondary to Primary is difficult because of this ( just as would a move from primary to secondary be) and thinking that you can jump straight in to leadership is naive at best and insulting at the worst.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Personally, I don't think, from what you've posted here, you have anything like the required experience.

You have zero experience of teaching in the primary sector.
    You have zero experience of an actual leadership role.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But hey, why should that stop you?

I'm sorry, but I get a little bit fed up of those who seem to think primary teaching is some sort of easy route to leadership. I know some very good ex-secondary teachers working in primary ( and I'm sure someone will have moved from secondary leadership to primary leadership and done a bloody good job of it) but non-leadership in secondary to leadership in primary is a step too far for my liking. Just make sure you have the experience, knowledge and understanding of what makes a good primary teacher before you start leading others.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I moved from secondary to primary, via middle school.
    I was head of maths in two middle schools and head of science in one before moving to primary. At the point of moving to primary I had about 11 years teaching and 6 years core subject leadership experience.
    I still (rightly) went back to being a classteacher with no responsibility for my first year in primary. And I was moving from being a year 5 form teacher and head of maths in a middle school to being a year 5/6 classteacher in primary!
    This is nothing to apologise for.
    Much as you need this in order to stand a good chance of being half way decent, you also need this in order to be credible in your role.
    I now have about 13 years of primary teaching experience, but still come across a few colleagues who make snide remarks about people who aren't 'proper primary teachers'.

agathamorse, CarrieV and MissKitCat like this.
  9. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

I agree that it would be best to take a class teacher role first to gain experience. Even being primary trained I remember having to adapt greatly in the first half term teaching KS1 as I was used to teaching UKS2. I had been used to more independance, most children knowing how to write paragraphs and not as much contact with parents on a daily basis.
    I have worked with a few teachers who have been secondary trained and I know some have needed extra support even though they are experienced teachers due to reasons such as the curriculum being new to them and being unclear on expectations and how to assess the children accurately. Not all have needed that level of support and have soon taken a co-ordinator role.
    Good luck.

10. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You’re hired!!

11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It seems a long winded way of getting into a leadership role.

Why don’t you think of a move in secondary to a more ‘traditional’ style of school where you’ll be recognised as a HoD?

Whilst it shouldn’t be out of the realms of possibility to move to a different sector of education to manage in my opinion (OFSTED inspectors judge across the division after all, a degree of leadership is common really) you have no real experience in the secondary setting anyway. It’s not like you could say you’ve observed, done while school initiatives, been in charge of NQTs, managed ICT systems, managed a budget- anything really that could be seen as transferable between the sectors.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Some commentators may say don't use capital letters in the thread title and check and be vigilant in your proof reading ? I couldn't possibly comment ;)

13. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Let’s be honest, with the KS2 curriculum you only have to be able to teach English and Maths don’t you?;)

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We do touch on a couple of other subjects, cross curricular writing is a big thing, don'cha'Know!

But, even if the amir8586 turned out to be the English lead or somesuch, could they lead on improving the phonics results in Year 1 or advise the NQT in year 3 how best to teach adverbial phrases to children who STILL can't put a full stop in the right place? Caterpillartobutterfly has explained HOW you can move from secondary to primary effectively and if you have that kind of background, go for it. But "I fancy being a primary school leader" isn't quite what I'd be looking for in an application!

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Not from next year...

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’d sign ‘em up with a massive recruitment allowance to boot...

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

What pomp said
    BUT

I know of someone who went from secondary (non-ebac subject) classroom teacher to DH primary school role.
    He’s now a primary head.
    :eek:

I wouldn’t recommend this though

agathamorse likes this.
  18. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Do what @Pomza said in #2
    You don't have the required experience for a leadership role in a primary school because you don't have any experience of the primary curriculum. It sounds like you have the right experience to be a HOD in a secondary but if your heart is set on primary, then get a class teacher post first.

19. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

TES Forum House Rules:
    • Try not to criticise another user's grammar or spelling.
    Typo or ignorance, it's not good netiquette!

Also..."primary teachers HAVE to know the difference", or "should"? If it was "have to", many primary schools would be severely understaffed. Practise/practice are the ones that sort the wheat from the chaff!

But I completely agree that secondary HOD doesn't equal primary leader.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

On the subject of ‘ netiquette ‘ I think that it would be courteous if the OP responded to the advice / guidance / observations that colleagues have taken the time to post?

I understand that mistakes with spelling / grammar occur but my own take on it is that too many contributors actually a ) can’t be bothered to exercise quality control in their posts and b ) lack skills ?