1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer from primary to secondary?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by deirdreaa, Mar 7, 2016.

1. deirdreaa

deirdreaa New commenter

I am a primary teacher - qualified 5 years - who wants to transfer to secondary art teaching. Does anyone have any idea how I could go about this? The advice is varied and conflicting depending on who you talk to! I have previous experience, 7 years working as an art therapist working with secondary age pupils. Should I approach my current primary head teacher, speak to the council direct, or apply for art teaching jobs and see how that goes? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Lots of trained Secondary Art teachers out there and few jobs I suspect for which you will be competing so I doubt applying direct will cut it. Great that you have been involved with Art therapy and I can see that this may be useful as an alternative 'intervention' ( thinking creatively here ) with some students but again some folk may comment ' so what ? ' Sorry I can't be more encouraging but important to keep it real I think. Perhaps others colleagues can offer advice re the mechanics of retraining ?