1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transfer from primary to secondary art teaching?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by deirdreaa, Jan 31, 2011.

1. deirdreaa

deirdreaa New commenter

Hi, I am a probationer teacher in Scotland - I did my training in Primary but would like to transfer to Secondary Art & Design once I have my full registration. I am also qualified as an art therapist and have 7 years experience working with adolescents in this field. I am not sure how to go about finding out about applying to tranfer - any advice? Thanks

2. deirdreaa

deirdreaa New commenter

Hi, I am a probationer teacher in Scotland - I did my training in Primary but would like to transfer to Secondary Art & Design once I have my full registration. I am also qualified as an art therapist and have 7 years experience working with adolescents in this field. I am not sure how to go about finding out about applying to tranfer - any advice? Thanks

3. Hi,
    just wondering whether you had any success? I am a fully qualified primary school teacher (in my fourth year). I did a fine art degree and got a first. I really miss doing Art and have been considering for a while wanting to change to secondary art teaching. There does not seem to be anywhere where I can get this information. I also would possiby like to pursue a career in art therapy in the future.
    Thanks

4. deirdreaa

deirdreaa New commenter

Hi,
    I am still no further forward - I still have to complete another years teaching after this one before I would be eligible to even start the process - (you have to have been fully GTCS registered for 2 years). I am finding it a process of hitting one brick wall after the other and getting any relevant and current info very difficult. As far as I can tell, you apply for Professional registation and if you get that you have to complete an agreed CPD programme and then apply for registration - the problem seems to me to be that you have to get a job where you will be teaching your subject for at least 70% of your timetable in order to do this. So you have to persuade your local authority to give you a years contract to do this - as art teachers in my local authority are being made surplus I can't see this happening - so am feeling kinda stymied! I will be trying to find out more about the process next year when I will have held my full registration for 2 years. I am currently doing 1 day a week in an art therapy post and 4 days fixed term supply in a Primary School - both of these are only til the end of June and then I will keep fingers crossed I get something for next year.
    If you search the GTCS website they have the application forms and info there - please let me know if you get any further forward. Good Luck!

5. If you want to get upper level of education post you can do beachlor of teachings in the univercities.

6. Hello,

just reading the discussion about transferring. In my experience, having worked in secondary art departments as an art teacher and been artist in residence in primary schools, the best way to attempt to transfer is to talk directly with art departments and see what individual departments are interested in. If you have a portfolio to show then it will become clear whether you have relevant skill etc.

7. I looked into this before my training, I'm a secondary school teacher and trained ax one so I could have the option of teaching primary if I wanted unfortunately I don't think it works the other way around without extra training. Sorry.