1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transcripts for analysis

Discussion in 'English' started by suzannemantz, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Is there anywhere that I can get copies (downloaded or paper) of transcripts? They don't have to be about anything in particular.

I am doing Unit 5 of the AQA Lang/Lit syllabus, where students have to compare a written conversation to a transcript of a spoken one.

However, all I can find so far is the copies of about 3 transcripts on teachit.co.uk

Is there a website that has just a load of transcripts on? I am finding hard to analyse spoken words when we have no resources! We have taken to making and transcribing our own, but it takes so long!

Thanks,

Suzanne

suzannemantz@mailcity.com

2. Is there anywhere that I can get copies (downloaded or paper) of transcripts? They don't have to be about anything in particular.

I am doing Unit 5 of the AQA Lang/Lit syllabus, where students have to compare a written conversation to a transcript of a spoken one.

However, all I can find so far is the copies of about 3 transcripts on teachit.co.uk

Is there a website that has just a load of transcripts on? I am finding hard to analyse spoken words when we have no resources! We have taken to making and transcribing our own, but it takes so long!

Thanks,

Suzanne

suzannemantz@mailcity.com

3. Not sure if there are any websites devoted to transcripts! They can be hard to get hold of.
    Some suggestions:

Past Unit 5 (and 6) papers (you could always cut the transcripts down a bit if necessary)

English Lang & Lit textbooks- usually have short examples in them

Get the students to record or write down examples of their own conversations (transforming them into narratives can be a useful exercise)

Get a passage from a novel and just give them the dialogue - see what they make of it

See if you or any of your colleagues can get onto a 'Teaching the spoken word' course as they usually give out transcripts

Use the ones from the Unit 1 anthology

Look on the internet for interview transcripts e.g. with celebrities - may be able to pair these with something

um....any help?:)

4. cheerysocks

cheerysocks New commenter

5. cheerysocks

cheerysocks New commenter

6. I have transcripts I did or used myself in my degree. Leave your addy if you're interested.

7. cheerysocks - I know it's not my post - but cheers for the web sites - they're fab :)

8. i have a transcript which I used for my degree which is of the news at ten. it is very detailed and was used for the purpose of conversational and discourse analysis.

9. You lovely, lovely people! You've made my life so much easier - thanks very much.

suzannemantz@mailcity.com for those of you who said you'd email me things.

Much appreciated!

Suzi

10. I'm doing a transcript analysis for AS Eng. Lang. Do you have an analysis lying around? If you do, it'd be much appreciated.

11. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I have a transcript of desert island discs with david tennant if anybody is interested... it's a tad random!