1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Transcendental Meditation

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by izzywhizzal, Jan 7, 2016.

1. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

Does anyone have any experience of this? Good or bad? I went to an introductory free talk last night. Is it worth the financial outlay of around £400? Is it worth spending 40 minutes of every precious day transcending? Thought it might be worth a try as life seems to be one huge endurance test at the moment.

2. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Hello,

I've never done transcendental meditation, so I can't comment specifically on that. However, I have done Chan (zen) meditation. I took it up for similar reasons (dealing with stress) and I would say that it has been beneficial for that (and for my overall outlook).

However, I would be wary of anyone asking for that amount of money for such courses. There are a lot of people about who run these courses who simply want to make money. They may not even have much experience of real meditation themselves, but they are 'instructing' other people to do it and making money off of it. There is no regulation for such things and often the quality of the teaching is poor.

That's not to say that the techniques themselves are not effective. I believe they are, when practised frequently and sincerely. But, it's a gradual process and it may take months or even years to see any results. That's why it's good to have a teacher that you can go to regularly so that they can guide you through the process.

The people with direct experience in such matters make the best teachers. I'm lucky enough to have a Buddhist monk as a teacher. Often, such people do not charge anything (or charge very little, to cover administration costs) for their teaching. A great teacher may be hard to find (as they rarely advertise) but you can be sure that they are doing it for the right reasons. I would recommend researching to see if a potential teacher has any direct links to a specific temple or monastery.

Lastly, I'd say its best not to expect too much too soon if you are going to meditate. The Shaolin monks train for years before attempting meditation. It is no 'quick fix'. Often, meditation can make issues worse (in the short term) because you are confronting what is perhaps the most dangerous thing we have: our own mind. This is why I'd say it's essential to find a good teacher if you are going to meditate. Hope that helps.

3. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

Thanks indusant. We were all assured that all money goes back to the TM organisation. I'm sceptical but desperate, a perfect customer! Your post has reminded me to go back to the Buddhist Centre that I explored a good few years back but did not pursue properly. You are right : that was a minimal amount according to circumstances and to civer basic costs. I'll try that first.

indusant likes this.
  4. janemk

janemk New commenter

You might want to look into EFT tapping (Emotional Freedom Techniques) too, depending on what your aims are. It's a lot faster than meditation in terms of results but each have their merits (and you can combine them too). You can also do it quite easily by yourself for free.

5. ParisianPearl

ParisianPearl Occasional commenter

I've never really understood what a person is supposed to be transcending in TM. Themselves? The world? Everything? And why? What is supposed to be the benefit? I think £400 is very expensive for the course. How long does it last?

As to your question of whether it's worth spending 40 minutes a day meditating, I think that is time well spent, whether you transcend anything or not. There are many reasons to meditate, relaxation being a good one is one among many. If I were you I would go back to the Buddhist centre and take an introductory course and go from there. They will probably teach Shamata which is very beneficial both for relaxation and other things. It's important to understand the reason for meditating and to know what you want to get out of it. An introductory course at a Buddhist centre should give you a reasonably clear understanding of how to do it properly and what you want to achieve.

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You don't need to spend that amount of money. Meditation is good and helpful. Transcendental Meditation is a movement/organisation/business/cult which teaches meditation for a fee. You get a 'secret' mantra which is supposed to be unique to you (but it has been known for a whole group of people to be given the same one - although as it's supposed to be secret and you're not allowed to tell anyone your mantra you generally wouldn't find this out).

There is also an 'initiation' ceremony which is very Hindu-like- involves offerings to the 'guru' (represented by a photo) and puja.

This site is very worth a read before you shell out any money.

http://minet.org/steps.html

There are many ways to access the benefits of meditation and meditation can take many forms - if you like yours with a dollop of mysticism and new-age religion then I suppose TM would do, but I wouldn't be going there.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Won't let me edit - so I will just add that I could teach you to meditate and I certainly wouldn't be charging that sort of money for the pleasure.

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

This technique works for me too.

janemk likes this.
  9. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

No don't pay it. There are books and stuff around that you can access free of charge.

If you want to meditate start by small sessions. E.g. 3 minutes a time. I am meditate frequently and it is an excellent way to de-stress. I sometimes meditate in my car at lunch time if I am having a difficult day!!

You can meditate anywhere. It is very calming and relaxing.

10. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

I agree. Do it for free by singing along with either on Nirinjan kaur or snatam Kaur. Their videos are on youtube.