1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training with a third

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bex1830, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Hi there,

just wanted to to scratch a few heads really, I graduated last year with a third hons in English Lang and linguistics and comparative lit. My result was largely due to illness, deferral, distance to uni and then my own general lack of direction.

My attendance was poor, i was in an abusive relationship and aged 21 it all got a bit much, I never disclosed this to uni though. In second year I contracted Mrsa and was off so much I had to defer. When I went back after having been working full time I'd lost momentum. By the time I had regained the energy to throw everything at it it was too late.

Im currently working as a CS and I think they are keen to get me onto training next year for English, I've not been asked my degree result but it is like a shadow hanging over me. I feel dishonest as my capabilities far surpass the connotations of my result. I know the subject, I'm passionate and I love every minute in the classroom. I'm determined to teach but apprehensive my result will discourage my school?

also, any academic reference from uni would be fairly negative due to my doom and gloom! Any way around this!?

any help appreciated!!!

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

With School Direct, it is the lead school that makes the decision and though ITT training providers are strongly encouraged to recruit trainees with a 2:2 or above, a 3rd isn't a complete no-no. If the school you are working at is a lead school then if they want you they can recruit you (al long as you fulfil the other entry requirements). Your school may work with a lead school in which case your application may be regarded favourably. If your school is not currently involved in ITT then I think you may find it difficult to get onto an ITT programme. Also look into SCITT? I don't think you would be successful applying for a University based PGCE.