1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Training to work in the independent sector?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Homeeducator2011, May 22, 2016.

  1. Homeeducator2011

    Homeeducator2011 New commenter

    I would like to know if there are independent schools that train their own teachers (something similar to school direct, but in the independent sector). I am very new to this. Thank you
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    United Learning - a group with both independent schools and Academies, runs ITT through its United Teaching scheme. There may well be others.

    Best wishes

  3. Homeeducator2011

    Homeeducator2011 New commenter

    Thank you very much, it looks brilliant!
  4. Alldone

    Alldone Established commenter

    [This comment/image/section has been removed to preserve poster anonymity]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  5. asnac

    asnac Established commenter

    @Alldone, your post potentially identifies you. You might want to delete it.
  6. Alldone

    Alldone Established commenter

    [This comment/image/section has been removed to preserve poster anonymity]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2016
  7. ndugu

    ndugu New commenter

    Cognita schools ran the Buckingham University PGCE for their own staff who were graduates. Not sure whether this is an option?
  8. Homeeducator2011

    Homeeducator2011 New commenter

    Thank you, I didn't know about Cognita schools. Buckingham university is too far for me unfortunately :-(
  9. Snorkers

    Snorkers New commenter

    Our trainees do the Buckingham PGCE course (based in school) and there are two routes - one that confers QTS and one that doesn't. The former requires a teaching placement in a state school, whereas the latter is independent-only.
  10. rdickste

    rdickste New commenter

    I am an American interested in becoming a secondary school (high school level) teacher and do not yet have a teaching certificate. The United Teaching scheme is appealing to me, but as an American, I am not permitted to take either a bursary or a loan from the UK government. That is also why I can't do a PGCE in the UK. Is there any way I can teach at an independent school without a teacher qualification?

    I have a B.A. and two M.A.s and would like to teach history or German and French. My existing teaching experience consists of being a tour guide at historical memorials; most of the time, I am guiding school groups through the memorials (several of them are from the UK, and the teachers from these groups have been very impressed with me and have strongly recommended I look into becoming a non-state teacher in the UK). Normally, I would just go ahead and get my one-year teaching certificate from the US, but I first want to do a year of independent-school teaching to make sure I really enjoy the profession before taking out a quite sizable loan and spending a year on a program.

    What is your advice for me (this is directed to everyone, not just TheoGriff) for breaking into this field? Thank you!
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    I'd recommend you get some work experience in schools first.
    A small group touring a monument is not the same as a bored class last thing on a rainy Thursday afternoon.
    Most independent schools do prefer to appoint people with a teaching qualification. You certainly couldn't just pitch up as you are and teach.
    You can't really do the job of teacher before you learn how to teach!

    Some schools have gap year students who work in the boarding houses and help out with other bits and bobs. But usually these are 18/19 year olds.
  12. rdickste

    rdickste New commenter

    Hm, this seems like a catch-22, since in order to gain work experience in schools, I need to get hired in the first place. Would teaching ESL in Asia count as teaching experience for UK independent schools? I'm considering getting an online TEFL certification and teaching ESL here in Europe and possibly over in Asia to gain necessary job experience.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    Yes you do need to be employed to get experience, but you could be employed as a volunteer or as a teaching assistant.

    You need to train as a teacher to be employed as a teacher.
    You wouldn't expect to get work as a heart surgeon without training would you?

    These are real children we are talking about, who only get one chance at education. In the independent sector parents are paying thousands to get their child an excellent education. They aren't going to be too happy with a completely unqualified, inexperienced person pitching up to have a go and see if they like it before training.
    blueskydreaming likes this.
  14. kcrobson

    kcrobson New commenter

    Also important: do you have the right to work in the UK? If not, the UK school would have to prove there is no one else in the EU (500 million or so people) who could teach the subject they want to hire you to teach (the exception to this being if you teach Maths, Chemistry or Physics).

    Volunteering is also considered working, so even to volunteer you would need the right to work.
  15. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    I would strongly suggest that you get qualified in the USA, then consider the UK. If you had sufficient monies, then you could apply for the appropriate visa to come to the UK and do a PGCE.
  16. pennyh.

    pennyh. Occasional commenter

    Try targgetig some independent schools and write direct to them-setting out your CV etc. and your enquiry- boarding schools should be best choice as they are sometimes seeking residential help. You may hit lucky and you may getadvice.

Share This Page