1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training to become a design and technology teacher

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by LeighC88, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am interrested in becoming a design and technology teacher.I currently work as teaching and curriculum support in science and technology. I have a degree in applied sports and exercise science. I would like to do a GTP in the school I am currently working at. I cant find any information on whether my degree will make me eligable to go onto do this. I also have no idea where to start or what me /the school have to do. I am trained on the majority of the machines within the department, niether me or my HOD know what we need to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Hello,
    I am interrested in becoming a design and technology teacher.I currently work as teaching and curriculum support in science and technology. I have a degree in applied sports and exercise science. I would like to do a GTP in the school I am currently working at. I cant find any information on whether my degree will make me eligable to go onto do this. I also have no idea where to start or what me /the school have to do. I am trained on the majority of the machines within the department, niether me or my HOD know what we need to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks in advance [​IMG]

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The general rule of thumb is that you must have 50% of your batchelor degree in a subject you wish to train in. That said there are subject enhancement programmes available at some universities to allow trainees to top up their subject knowledge. as far as D & T is concerned the obvious question is why would you want to teach this? you should also be aware that because it is not an E Bacc subject it is experiencing a bit of a decline at the moment and the number of ITT places have been cut back. If you degree included elements of Human Biology then you could consider training as a science teacher, a lot more places available for this option than D &T- again you would probably need to get onto subject enhancement programmes to top up your understanding.

4. I can say that from my own university interview experience ytour degree would not meet the criteria for an application for D+T. That said on the GTP you need to convince a school that you can teach it and have the skillsnecessary - they may then convince a provider that you would be suitable so it is worth asking around.
    The Sage