1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

training to be a teacher in the UK

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by susierothwell, Jul 1, 2020.

1. susierothwell

susierothwell New commenter

Are there any on line institutions which permit you to train to be a Primary school teacher, where the learning is all done on line and placements done at schools? Thanks.

Sona5 likes this.
  2. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

The open university used to run a PGCE course like that in the 1990`s no idea if they still do.

Sona5 likes this.
  3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

I don't know about all, but UHI does a substantial amount of training online.

4. crocked

crocked New commenter

OU does a course but there are small number of face to face days somewhere down south (not sure where).

5. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The answer is no. The OU doesn't do such a course. No other provider I know offers such a course. The least attendance style course that I know is Buckingham.
    The reason for this lack is that part of good pedagogy is modelling. So for example you would handle mathematical models and also be shown a variety of approaches to teaching mathematics. SSP, the list is endless. You might say you would learn this in school, but the reality is that schools eschew some approaches and favour others. The independent learning affords you an opportunity for pluralistic pedagogies. What is your antipathy towards face to face teaching based on?

Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  7. crocked

crocked New commenter

I stand corrected. A lesson in jumping the gun and responding without the full knowledge resulting in looking like a ****.

8. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

There are PGCE distance learning courses available (Coventry University I think), which are aimed at those already employed at a (independent) school. I am guessing this is not what you need/are looking for though.

Alternately you could do a schools direct route which is QTS only. There would still be some F2F teaching but it would be minimal. I would heed what @MrMedia says though.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Even on the SD - and I am an external examiner to both SD and SCITT models, there is a considerable face to face programme. It just happens at non-university sites. E.g. you go to a part of the school and other schools to attend the face to face session. It's all part of it - you won't escape face to face delivery of material.

10. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

What about part time teacher training.....I am not very keen on leaving my present job...

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Part time model is exactly that - you complete 50% of your teaching experience and 50% of your day release training each week. So you can continue working for 2 days a week and still train to be a teacher. I don’t have any part time trainees working in the other half though to be honest. They are all carers. That’s not to say you can’t do this, but I’m being candid to show that this is a very underused option. Right now, if you like your job this much then I’m not sure why you would want to switch careers. Follow your heart is my advice.

Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  12. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

I am working in a school and with probably more experience I am likely to be given the Teaching Assistant role, as I have done the Level 3 course. I think you are probably right, I will just have to choose between the two. I am not ready this year and will apply next year. Meanwhile I will prepare for the test...thank you so much for your suggestion.

13. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

I am in a private school working as a Non-teaching staff....thanks for the information I will speak to Coventry Univ...

14. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

That site is very low quality in accuracy of information. It reads like someone with very little knowledge of teacher education wrote it. Sorry. The best thing to do is to look at the Get Into Teaching website which is very accurate and attend an event run by them and they will give you good advice. Level 3 is a good standard of HLTA. A primary PG would suit you well.

Sona5 and agathamorse like this.
  16. inkymark

inkymark New commenter

I trained via a SCITT and did a PGCE (non-QTS) by distance learning which was part of the overall offering from the SCITT (although delivered by a University). This was on top of the SCITT lectures/learning (one day a week) and work in schools (four days a week) so was quite stressful since the SCITT course and the PGCE course were effectively separate courses that were not integrated together.

Sona5 likes this.
  17. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

I can imagine.....thanks for your input...I am still debating in my mind which way to go...I am glad I joined TES...it really helps to have as much first-hand information as one can possibly have....Thanks

18. Sona5

Sona5 New commenter

To be very frank....I will be very stressed teaching in a Secondary School.....love to be with the kiddies...I was apprehensive jumping into PGCE straight away...after doing Level 3...passion for teaching has intensified....