1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training session on day off

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rissareynolds, Jun 10, 2019.

1. rissareynolds

rissareynolds New commenter

Hi there, my school carries out a fortnightly 20 min training session which takes place before tutor time on my day off. Each Dept takes a turn to deliver a session over the year. A member of my Dept has already delivered one this year. My line manager came to ask me this morning to deliver one. When reminded these take place on my day off, he asked me to choose a different morning to do it (this week). Should I do this or should I avoid it as it is something which happens on my day off? By the way, this is not part of our whole staff CPD programme, it is an 'extra'.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Assuming a) school uses SPTCD and b) you have spare hours left from your 1265 directed time, then I would think that yes, this could be deemed to be a reasonable request.

border_walker likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Seems reasonable. I attended department meetings that would normally be on my day off which were were moved to a day I was in. The bigger issue is the late notice of when it is, if you are not routinely expected to be in at that time - and that applies to everyone involved - for most it probably doesn't matter, but for some it might mean rearranging who drops the kids at nursery.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't see why the usual day this happens is relevant. If it is moved to a day you usually work and your directed hours are not breached, then they are entitled to tell you to do this. If this is an extra, adding 20 minutes to that particular day, then you have probably been doing less than your maximum directed hours. It does seem a bit short notice, so if this causes you a problem, it would be reasonable to ask for it to be delayed until the next one is due.

It occurs to me that the training session should change days regularly so that part timers can go to their share of them.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

This seems reasonable to me.

Piranha likes this.