1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

training route to become a SEN teacher?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by beaskies, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Fenellaarchdale

Fenellaarchdale New commenter

Or any short courses that you did would be useful to know about, thanks.

2. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Oh gosh! I will have to dust everything off. Attended training courses for the programmes that we use such as , Lexia, Ruth Miskim, Nessy. The Institute of Education run frequent day and twilight SEND workshops. First call would be to have a chat with your SENDCo

Good Luck

3. Plumloaf

Plumloaf New commenter

I moved from primary to secondary to teach SEN in mainstream.
    Like everyone has said you need a teaching qualification first. I think it wise to get some mainstream teaching under your belt first and then look for opportunities.
    There is a very wide range of SEN available from special school, units in mainstream for the deaf or visually impaired, Teaching and Learning Centres, hospital schools, home tutors, schools for those with behavioural issues, college for young adults with learning difficulties - honestly it's endless. You may have to do some research and knocking on doors. I find it a fantastic but exhausting job.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I can't really help. I trained back in the "old days" when my main subject was actually the education of children with special educational needs rather than English or Geography and so on. A really detailed interesting course but sadly discontinued very shortly after I left.