1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training in SEN Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by :-(, Apr 28, 2009.

1. :-(

:-(

Hi
    I have realised that my knowledge of working with SEN children is appalling and have decided to do something about it. I was wondering if anyone knows of any courses that offer SEN training for teachers but specifically in Music. I'm not too bothered about location as I would be prepared to travel. Have also posted this on the SEN board. Many thanks in advance.

2. :-(

Hi
    I have realised that my knowledge of working with SEN children is appalling and have decided to do something about it. I was wondering if anyone knows of any courses that offer SEN training for teachers but specifically in Music. I'm not too bothered about location as I would be prepared to travel. Have also posted this on the SEN board. Many thanks in advance.

3. Hi, my info might be out of date, I've not taught in special needs school since 2005. At that time, as far as I was aware, there was no specific training on offer for music other than music therapy. I did look into it as I had very little experience of sen pupils out of mainstream education so basically was learning on the job. Perhaps there has been progress in this area and I'd really like to hear about it if there is anything on offer. Are you currently working with sen pupils in mainstream or sen school?

4. :-(

Thanks for the replying talibecca. I'd be going into an sen school but only as an observer primarily. I have done various searches online but have come up with nothing with regards training. Maybe someone else out there has more recent experience?

5. Hiya,

i think that it is relative to whom you will be teaching. SEBD Children are like mainstream children, but you generally need to get their behaviour under control and have very short easy LO's and use praise as your secret weapon. Children who are highly functioning autistic or aspergers can cope in mainstream settings, but be wary they do not like loud or sudden sounds. African Drumminghas been successful with Autistic/Aspergers kids. They can still get their music qualifications at Access 1 and 2 level (if in scotland- i don't know about the english exam system) or maybe even Access 3.
    I can reccommend getting in touch with the people at Drake Music and learning from them as they taught me lots about making music accessible to SEN children or children who are physically disabled in wheelchairs. They use computer programs, sound beams, recordings and brain fingers to help music be accessible.
    I am starting to teach music in an SEBD school to kids age 11-16 so you can talk to me if you want. I am hoping that the students will get Access 3 Music within the first year and progress through intermediate awards afterwards.

6. Hello! Did you find a course suitable? I realise it was a long time ago that you were asking, but Boogie Mites has recently launched a music programme/training for working musically with children with SEN http://www.boogiemites.co.uk/31/sen