1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training in Secondary History but want to work in special schools.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BlueOctopus, Nov 5, 2017.

1. BlueOctopus

BlueOctopus New commenter

Hi all,

I have posted a similar thread in the trainee forum but I just wanted to know if you think it would be possible to move from secondary to Special school.

Basically I have chosen the wrong thing to train in, I went with my head not my heart and am now regretting it.

Prior to teacher training I was a 1 to 1 SEN TA. ( then did a couple years as a cover supervisor 1 of them doing special needs lunch club) I was lead practitioner for autism at a primary school and liased with the team from the LA.

I have never felt so fulfilled as when I was working with children with SEN, I did a training placement for my TA course in a PMLD class but couldn't find a job in the area so went to a mainstream school with enhanced provision.

I did secondary as I did not think I had a wide enough general knowledge for primary and do genuinely love history. I just know in my heart that although I enjoy teaching history it isn't where I want to be.

Do you think once I get QTS (as I have to continue I can't afford to drop out and start again) it would be possible to move across to special schools? I very much doubt that I would find a Special School willing to take me as an Nqt but is it a realistic aim do you think?

Many Thanks

2. Flanks

Flanks New commenter

I know plenty of special schools who take nqts.

No amount of training in advance helps with a special school, it has to be at the coal face. If you see posts being advertised, just enquire whether they would consider an nqt and apply if they say yes.

With your CV I would have thought you would be a credible candidate.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I agree with Flanks. I don't think you'd have a problem - you have the experience and you will have the QTS. I know of many teachers who have done their NQT year in a special school, their PGCEs have been in primary or secondary, science, music , English, history, geography, maths, anything really - you need enthusiasm, love of special and the QTS. The school will expect to support you with the rest.

4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Agree with above advice!! A special school will snap you up. Google job adverts and see what they are looking for. I’m sure with all your experience, as long as you make it clear, you’ll be fine. Try and teach children with send on your course. Can you shadow the SENCo or at least meet with them? Can you chat to the send governor.Also worth making links with the local special schools in your area.

dzil likes this.
  5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

good point tiny cat. Our school (special SLD PMLD) has supported student teaching practice placements in the past.