1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TRAINING FOR TUTOTS

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by n2yea, Jul 9, 2011.

1. HI I have recently started a private tuition business for primary school- age children, teaching Maths & English. I am not a qualified teacher but have a BA Honours Degree plus a Foundation degree in Early Childhood Education. I also currently volunteer part-time in a school, however I have reached a stale-mate situation because I would like to receive more training. However it seems impossible to ascertain, because I cannot find anyway that helps to update my skills. I love being a tutor and do not want to become a qualified teacher. So I would be very grateful if anyone could provide any information.

2. It all depends what you want further training in. The OU offers lots of different courses in education some of these may be of interest. Several universities offer MA courses that you can apply for on a distance learning basis, usually involving attending the university on some weekends and during school holidays etc. These are set up to suit school teachers so should work for tutors.
    What sort of further training are you looking for?

3. I know that a PTLLS course is aimed at adult learning, but you will learn a lot that is transferrable to teaching children IF it is a well run course. Check it out at your local college or city and guilds website.

4. You could ask the school you volunteer at if they would allow you to attend their INSET sessions when they are training based rather than just admin based staff meetings. You could also check with the LEA training lists, sometimes there are free courses about and the school may put you on a course that's free as one of their staff.

5. You could always ask to sit in on the teachers weekly planning sessions. If you are volunteering already they would probably value your contributions and it would give you a good idea of how they work to the curriculum etc

6. You could always ask to sit in on the teachers weekly planning sessions. If you are volunteering already they would probably value your contributions and it would give you a good idea of how they work to the curriculum etc

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Train as a teaching assistant it covers all you need.

8. I'm currently studying for a Foundation Degree in Learning & Teaching (via University of Northampton) and that covers all the things you are looking for.
    It's classed as a full-time degree (and takes 2 years to complete) but I only attend the university for 1 full day a week. The rest of the work is done at home or school-based.
    I think there are other universities that offer similar courses on a part-time basis (half a day a week).

9. TRAINING FOR TUTOTS -

Using a spell check would help and then proof read.