1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training for Native Speaker Teachers

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Kleeblatt, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Does anyone know if a course exists, which aims to help Native speaker teachers of MFL with their use of English in the classroom?

2. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Does anyone know if a course exists, which aims to help Native speaker teachers of MFL with their use of English in the classroom?

3. Not that I know of sorry... it is an interesting one though as I see myself (German national) using a lot of English sometimes

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

isn't that part of your PGCE training?

5. I feel as little English as possible and as much of the target languageas possible works best. It can be tedious at the start but pupils quickly get used to it. In fact I have had pupils using my favourite catch phrase "en francais s'il vous plait" when I lapsed recentely and they are not high flyers!...

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Not sure if I understand this correctly? Do you mean that the teacher cannot speak English very well? If so,it will be a problem for them in and out of the classroom! However,their English will improve pretty quickly once their live here,unless they make the mistake of sharing a house with other native speakers. I recommend watching a lot of tv!

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I think OP probably means report writing, talking to parents, relating to colleagues, etc. We had a two hour lecture at uni and that was it, so yes, it is covered in the PGCE but not in much depth! I actually think it would be really useful, so if any course provider are reading this, get on the case!

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Not sure I agree with you there, Noémie - it sounded to me as though OP is strugglinmg with English in the classroom.
    I had a (Mauritian) Mat Cover a few years ago who struggled in this way - the kids were merciless!!!

9. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

Hi all,
    thanks for your responses. Actually, despite my possibly quite bad spelling and grammar in English I am a native speaker. I am actually looking for something for a member of my department, and actually all of your thoughts apply about where she wants to improve.

She does have some problems talking to colleagues and with report writing, but also kids sometimes struggle to understand her in the classroom. I know that there should be a lot of TL, but there are also a lot of times when English is necesary....
    In any case we found one course which sounds quite good - but the opportunities do seem to be few and far between. For some bative speakers who are teaching MFL I think this could be a really valuable thing to see more of - even if they do get help with it on ITT -we all know that Language acquisition and improvement is a slow process - particualrly as we get older!

10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I don't understand the need to go on a special course. If you are not an English speaking native speaker,your spoken English and understanding of what goes on based on cultural references will steadily improve the longer you are over here. There is no course that will do this.

11. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I wonder if it's the same course Indian call centres employees are sent on?

Not if you make sure that you are fully immersed. Tell them to watch a lot of tv!

12. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Catmother I disagree. Whilst watching a lot of tv may be good for her understanding of English, there's only so much that you can use for yourself, particularly if you already struggle. During his whole life my grandfather spoke with an appalling Spanish accent, to the point we could hardly understand him, despite him living in the country. Spending a couple of hours on a course focusing on the pronunciation issues he had, or grammar points he never understood, might have been a quicker way to progress.
    In my first year of teaching I had to "learn" what phrases to use to tell kids off. Sounds silly, but fortunately I modelled it on a colleague who was really good at that. All of these little things can't just be picked up on the go, even if you are really keen to integrate (and efficient at it).
    Glad that you found a course for her. Who is delivering it?

13. Kleeblatt

Kleeblatt New commenter

.....and I completely agree with you Noemie. My colleague has already lived and worked in England for a while, but has only been teaching a couple of years. Whereas in other situations she could get around her problems, students really do struggle with understanding her. Watching TV really won't help her that much in the classroom!

Part of the way we are going to be supporting her is by modelling some key phrases for praise/behaviour amnagement/correction etc but I thnik she may also find the course useful. There is only so much time youc an dedicate to thinking about these things in an average school day!

The course is run by etch training http://www.etchtraining.co.uk/courses.aspx?mode=coursedetails&keysu=39&suname=The+Teacher's+Voice&keyc=234 Not 100% about it yet, but it certainly looks like it has potential!

14. I completely agree with Derekdalek. As a native French speaker, to be teaching and speaking French and German to a whole class whose attitude to learning languages is near ZERO is totally ineffective. The criteria to speak and teach in target language in a school are discipline, high-achievement and strategic direction from the head/governors. Success in languages (and other disciplines too) can never be obtained unless the "nice school and children" are it. PS: I still do not lose hope or faith in my kids!!!!!!!Tha!