1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training DT, change to Art & Design

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by teogavril, Sep 5, 2020.

1. teogavril

teogavril New commenter

Hi all,

I’m currently training in DT but a part of me wishes I chose art, but I’m aware of the lack of teaching posts in art at the moment.

My question is, once I qualify, would it be possible to apply for art and design NQT position, from a D&T trainee background, if a job became available? Or would it be even possible to switch subject courses during my training year?

Thanks in advance ☺️

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Once you're qualified (in England, anyway), you are qualified to teach any subject. So you can apply for art posts, but you would have to convince the school that you're better than any candidates who have trained as art teachers. On the other hand, if the school could do with someone who teachers some art and some DT, it might work to your advantage. Whilst training, you can always ask if you can spend a bit of time in art - sometimes it might be possible to have one or two art groups in your timetable, or you could at least do some observation

ScienceGuy likes this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

There is some crossover e.g. Textiles can be taught as part of the DT curriculum or the Art curriculum