1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training Day

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by weemightyone, Sep 1, 2019.

1. weemightyone

weemightyone New commenter

Hi all,

My training day starts at 9am with a team meeting. What time should I get to school for? I don't have any contact with any other staff member except SLT to ask.

What are the norms in people's schools?

Thank you!

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You won't be the only member of staff who aims to walk through the door at 8:59am. It's not being late that is the crime but at 9:07 when the Head finally clears his throat and starts to address the staff with his super-positive, keynote speech then you don't want to be the one who walks in and gets the dead-eye for disturbing the speech.

For what it is worth I'll be aiming to walk in around 7:30 for a 8:40 coffee and biscuits followed by the 9am meeting. That is more to do with the internal arrangements of the Cazorla house than any school need. However I have relevant keys/cards/passes and won't be idle during this 'dead' time. Assuming you're a newbie you might want to make relevant contacts to impress in this dead time.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I like to treat it as a "normal" day and aim to get in at my usual time, just so I get back into my routine before I need to! So I will be in by 7.30. But I wouldn't be at all surprised at staff turning up at 8.59, just remember if you do you will probably have to sit at the front of the hall/class for the briefing and might have to look interested!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Aim to get there around 8.30 to allow time to get into the building, find where you need to be, meet other staff members

Kartoshka likes this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You made me think of the film...