1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training day attendance expectations

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by roadwalker8, Sep 17, 2017.

1. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 New commenter

Please could I have some advice on the training days I am expected to attend if I am 0.8 FTE ?
    There are 5 training days this year. One of the training days falls on the day of the week I do not work.

If I am expected to attend 4 out of the 5 training days, can I chose which I do not attend?
    How does the day I do not work count? Do I have to attend the other 4 days and take this as the day 'off'.? Or do I get to have another day off in addition?

Very confused

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

If you are on STPCD you cannot be expected to work on a day you normally wouldn't. You are not expected to turn up to 4 out of 5 days because you are 0.8. You are expected to as 4 of the 5 days are days you work, in your case.

If you didn't work mondays, and all training days were mondays, you wouldn't have to turn up for any.

If your contract isn't STPCD though, things may be different.

strawbs likes this.
  3. roadwalker8

roadwalker8 New commenter

Thanks for reply. Forgive me, but I am still a little confused.
    In my case, say I do not work Wednesday.

1. Would I have to attend all of the other 4 training days and just not the one on my official day off?

2. If yes to above, could I come in on that Wednesday training day and take another one of the other 4 days off instead?

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Agree - you attend the ones on your working days, which in your case happens to be four of them. They cannot insist that you attend the other one (unless your contract says otherwise), although they can invite you to and offer to pay you.

If you would like to attend the extra one, for professional development, you can ask, and the school might be willing to pay you for the extra day. If that day is going to be more useful to your professional development than one of the others, you could ask about doing that one and having one of the others off in lieu - the school doesn't have to agree, but I can't see why they wouldn't.

GLsghost likes this.