1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Training as a teacher of the deaf

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by miss_ireland76, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Ha anyone done this? I am interested in working in this field...but it seems like a catch 22 situation. Need to be working in a deaf school to get the training at Uni, but need the training at uni to get to work in a deaf school!

Any advice

ta

2. Ha anyone done this? I am interested in working in this field...but it seems like a catch 22 situation. Need to be working in a deaf school to get the training at Uni, but need the training at uni to get to work in a deaf school!

Any advice

ta

3. Hey, I know this is a long shot as it is a very old post but I would like to know if you continued along this road and how it worked out. I am only in my second year of teaching at the moment but already have BSL level 2 and would really like to train as a teacher of the deaf.

Thanks

4. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Sorry for a super late reply but hopefully you will get this!

I am a ToD and trust me it is not easy but it is very rewarding.

There are two options to train.

Either you apply to a job as a teacher of the deaf and hope they will fund your training. Do note that this is becoming harder as courses are cut, as well as funding being reduced even more each year.

The other option is training then applying. A lot of ToD jobs on the BATOD website are now looking for trained and qualified teachers of the deaf. They expect audiology and teaching experience prior to even snagging the job.

My suggestion is work as a ToD untrained and go from there. You have the two years teaching experience which is what is needed as well as Level 2.

Good luck.