1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainees with kids of your own - what do you do if they are ill?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bananatree84, Nov 22, 2015.

1. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Sunday evening and both my kids have come down with something suspiciously like tonsillitis. I will be taking them both to out of hours tonight but will be shattered tomorrow and need to be in due to class teacher not being in. What do you do if your kids are ill?

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

If your kids are ill, I would stay at home with your own kids.

I did this as a TA.
    I did this as a student teacher.
    I will still do this as an NQT or teacher later.

Hope they are feeling better soon!

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Teachers and trainees can have days out to look after dependents, but make sure that you stay within the number of days required to pass your course. Your course tutor will be able to fill you in.

4. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Thank you I only took Monday off and was back in today. I just couldn't leave them yesterday they were a complete state.

5. pinkfrangipani

pinkfrangipani New commenter

As long as you have your work ready to send through for cover, there's not much you can do if your children are ill. Glad you're back now. I have two small children and can completely empathise with your situation.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Bear in mind, however, that once you're employed you don't have any sort of "entitlement" to be off every time one (or more) of your kids is ill. And NEVER just ring in to school and announce "I'm not coming in..." - you have to ask for permission.

7. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Maybe that's different per school, good idea to check your contract.
    Mine says I have x numbers of dependency leave days for this. So I can call in, say my child is sick and I need the day off. I can't however do this for more than 1 day in a row; you are expected to organise childcare from day 2. Thankfully my child is rarely ill and when it happens my partner is usually able to take a day off or work from home.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed it is different!