1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teachers under new Ofsted framework

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thequillguy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean judging trainee teachers in an OFSTED inspection? It was always my understanding that a student teacher is essentially graded on how they respond to the class, and how they show reflection and progress (for themselves) in their planning. When I mentor student teachers, I expect them to show a clear reflection of their practice every week.

Of course, this then means that NQTs and classroom teachers are assessed on the progress that the kids make. This means that the lesson can be interesting, engaging, funny, and inspirational but if the students do make make apparent progress, then it is hard/difficult/impossible to award outstanding. It's a significant shift. Not least for the teachers who can perform, and ask a plethora of questions to which every student puts their hand up immediately, but only a few ever answer.

If a trainee teacher was somehow judged by OFSTED, I would want to buffet them with the above knowledge, depending on how reflective they were. If they didn't show themselves capable of reflective practice (and being confident in the face of ridicule, able to work monster hours etc.) then I would let OFSTED to do their bit.

2. We have had training from an Ofsted inspector and just had an inspection. Your head should give a list of lessons that your trainees are taking to the inspector along with staff who are absent etc. and the inspectors shouldn't observe them. One of the things that came out of the training was that they didn't want to see staff just taking back their classes as they wouldn't have the prior knowledge etc. and it wasn't fair to judge trainees in the same way as the rest of the staff. Our head did this for our inspection and to my knowledge they didn't go into any lessons taught by trainees.

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

When I was a student a few years ago, I was in a school that was
    visited by Ofsted. An inspector came in, I let them know that I was, and they
    promptly left again.
    It's the school's/ITT provider's job to assess the student's teaching ability.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When you give your timetable to your HT for the duration of the inspection, mark which lessons are to be taught by you which by a trainee. Then inspectors will only come to one being taught by you.

Inspectors are not there to judge the performance of trainees, but are there to judge progress of children. If a trainee is struggling then you might want to be in the classroom, maybe as a TA, to ensure things are better. Or perhaps to team teach with them.

5. Normaslly OFSTED is not interested in trainees in a school as they are there to inspect the school and its staff not the trainees (they can be insepcted under other inspections of providers). Usually the schools tells the team who is with them on practice and they steer clear. If they do observe a trainee they cannot pass judgement in a way that affects the trainees progress and the school cannot be downgraded on the teaching of a trainee.
    The Sage