1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teacher who desperately needs help- job searching and CV writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Hi. I am on a three year primary teaching degree at a good university. I graduate this summer and so I'm beginning to think about applying for a job and CV writing. I know I have to get my CV written as soon as possible but I have no idea how I'm meant to structure it or what I'm meant to include. Can anyone help me please or direct me to a site that might be helpful. Also, I live in the north east and I've been trying to search online for local jobs but not many jobs have come up. Which sites can I use please to search for jobs and how I can I go about getting a job? Is there a chance that I could have a permanent post for september or are the chances of doing supply work much higher? I really need advice on how to go about applying for a job please, choosing a school to work in, what the interview process is like if I get an interview etc. I feel like I'm stepping out from my comfort zone and into the unknown. I enjoy teaching so much but finding a job seems daunting especially since there will be a lot of competition for jobs. How can I stand out from others when applying for jobs?
    I know I've asked loads of questions here but if people could point me in the right direction and advise me I'd be so grateful.

2. Hi. I am on a three year primary teaching degree at a good university. I graduate this summer and so I'm beginning to think about applying for a job and CV writing. I know I have to get my CV written as soon as possible but I have no idea how I'm meant to structure it or what I'm meant to include. Can anyone help me please or direct me to a site that might be helpful. Also, I live in the north east and I've been trying to search online for local jobs but not many jobs have come up. Which sites can I use please to search for jobs and how I can I go about getting a job? Is there a chance that I could have a permanent post for september or are the chances of doing supply work much higher? I really need advice on how to go about applying for a job please, choosing a school to work in, what the interview process is like if I get an interview etc. I feel like I'm stepping out from my comfort zone and into the unknown. I enjoy teaching so much but finding a job seems daunting especially since there will be a lot of competition for jobs. How can I stand out from others when applying for jobs?
    I know I've asked loads of questions here but if people could point me in the right direction and advise me I'd be so grateful.

3. Check out Theogriff's advice.

4. I have never written a cv for a teaching job - in my local area all schools have their own application form which applicants of any level are required to complete.
    If you are at a good uni - or any uni for that matter, they should have tutors on hand to help you through the entire process.
    Finally, it is a little early to be looking for jobs for next september - they will not be advertised until at least Easter.

Good luck

5. Not strictly true.
    I got my NQT job long before Easter and the same was the case when I applied for and got my current teaching job.