1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teacher starting teaching placement soon- quick questions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jan 14, 2011.

1. I'm a trainee primary teacher and I'm starting my teaching placement soon. I have two quick questions to ask and would really appreciate any advice people could give.
    1. What do I need to the teacher of the class I've been placed in when I see them, apart from a class list, list of children in each group so I can differentiate according to ability and a copy of the class timetable? I have a massive block placement coming up and want to be as prepared as possible.

2. How can I make a really good impression?

Thanks!

2. Sorry, question 1 was meant to read 'What do I need from the teacher..'
    I don't normally make careless mistakes. I'm just really tired today.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Find out what schemes of work they follow and ask to see the long term plan for the year and the medium term plan for the next half term. I would also like to see the current Teacher Assessments just to get an idea of where each child is at.

The best way to make a good impression is to get stuck in I suppose! Use your prep time to really get to know the kids, read ahead on the planning so you can input your ideas and (depending on the mentor) be innovative - fresh eyes and total enthusiasm is the greatest strength trainee's/NQT's come in with.

Good Luck!

4. Find out the staff room seating plan. [​IMG]

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Oh and get hold of the behavioural policy and read up on their rewards/sanctions. The class will be more responsive if you use the systems they are already familiar with and these can really vary! My placement school had a no sticker/points etc policy yet my current school keeps telling me to use positive reinforcement way more than I am!

6. Copies of school policies are important, especially behaviour / discipline, teaching and learning, SEN, safeguarding, staff code of conduct (or staff handbook) and marking policy is useful.
    How to make a good impression. These are things that have impressed me (or not) with trainees:
    • don't be afraid to ask if you don't know something!
    • be really clear on what you are expected to plan, teach, resource and mark
    • ask advice on plans before the lesson if you're not sure rather than explaining to me during feedback that you didn't fully understand the objectives.
    • be reflective about your own practice
    • observe as much as possible, but ....
    • don't give me feedback on my lessons that you observe unless I ask for it (we get nervous having you watch us)
    • be nice to the teaching assistants - they know the school and the children better than you and can make your life so much easier. I've had feedback from TAs that they hate it when students look down on them as just TAs. Same goes for office staff, cleaners, MDSA and caretaker. Part of the professional standards are about relationships within the school.
    • offer to do "jobs" when you've got spare time e.g hear readers, support a group, sharpen pencils, wash paint pots, help at a club
    • go out on playground duty
    • Say thank you to the teacher and TAs every day!
    • I was really impressed when a student noticed I was really busy with reports and offered to help me prepare my resources and do photocopying. There was little she could do, but I really appreciated the offer as she'd noticed my workload (she got a good reference about team work from me)
    • be flexible
    • be positive about the children, if something goes wrong discuss "what can I do differently?" rather than always blaming the children.
    • show that you enjoy teaching and being with children
    • realise that we are all extremely busy. We want to support you and help you succeed, but we have lots of commitments at school and won't have time to spend hours going through your day and unpicking everything you observed us do.
    Hope that helps! Good Luck
    SD

7. /\ What Sunflower said /\

8. NEVER EVER stand around at the edge of the classroom with your arms folded!!!!

9. Listen to your Teacher and TA when they give you advice/guidance/ask you to supprt a group in a certain way. Don't question their motives as if you know better because you have just read a book or listened to a lecture.
    You will only crash and burn.

10. Great advice so far. Thanks! Any more ideas please? [​IMG]

11. It sounds really obvious but I've had teaching students who haven't so it's probably worth saying.

Try and remember that, at least initially, having a teaching student is extra work for the teacher so ask if you can help - do a bit of photocopying, tidy up, make cups of tea etc (not so you're running around after them all day just so you're being part of a team). Also if you really enjoyed a lesson tell them!

Enjoy it, it'll be over before you know it