1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teacher burnout

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TT219, Feb 15, 2020.

1. TT219

TT219 New commenter

I have 4 months left of my teacher training course and I have such bad anxiety that I feel like leaving the course. I have just started my second placement in KS2 and feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I am working myself into the ground, not sleeping and feel so overwhelmed with everything that I have to do in the next few months. I am petrified of messing this last but up and don't know if I can cope. I am a mature student and have two children. Is anyone else in the same position?

2. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Teacher training is tough. No doubt about it. One of the plus sides to it is that you can and will get through simply because you have ambition and want to carve out a career that will stand you in good stead for years to come. It gets easier but it has to be acknowledged that having two children can add immense pressure and sometimes parent guilt due to the amount of time you need to spend on all the responsibilities and unnecessary admin that goes with teaching. It can be overwhelming. One place I can signpost you to is Education Support. There is a link on this forum with a phone number where you can call and release how you feel and be given some sound advice and specific guidance which may help you get through the coming months. Alternatively, go onto Internet and type in Ed Supp and get details there. It's worth a try. Good Luck.

Edit =
    I will add that with 4 months left - the bulk of your training is already past, so now, pace yourself, set goals that are manageable and ensure your well being is given the priority. Speak with your in school mentor and see whether any other suggestions or adjustments can be made in the areas that are challenges at present. It's good to talk. Contact Ed Supp asap.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    TeacherMan19, agathamorse and Gsr25 like this.
  3. TT219

TT219 New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I just don't know if it is physically possible to do two assignments, plan and teach 80% apply for jobs and keep my head above water when there is so much to learn. I will have a look at the website you recommended.

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

@TT219 Try not to panic. If you panic, you will definitely slip under the water and drown.

You say you are feeling overwhelmed with everything you have to do over the next few months. Try not to think of everything as one big chunk, but instead, break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks. Starting with the assignments: do you have to do both at the same time, or is there one to complete first and then the other? If you can complete one first, put the other one to the side (and out of your mind) until the first is done. If you need to do both at the same time, I agree that is a lot of work; then you need to pick something else from the list to put to the side until the assignments are done. Planning and teaching must be done... is it 80% right away, or are you building up to that? Can the job applications wait until you've finished the assignments?

Stiltskin likes this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

As @Kartoshka says, break things down into chunks. As it's half term try to get ahead of yourself with the planning. Are you in one form entry or two (is the planning workload split?). Just do the bare bones now for the half term so you know what direction you are going in, with more detail for the first week back. You can then add to the planning as the term goes on.

For the assignments, try and do a little every day rather than large chunks all in one go.

I also wouldn't worry too much about job applications at this stage.

6. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I’m feeling exactly the same! Like you I’m half way through and I’m a mature student and I have two kids. Up until I started placement 2 it’s been pretty easy going but I’m in year 2 in a different school anf I'm finding it really hard. I’m taking the advice of colleagues to just rest this half term and try not to worry! It’s so easy to say that isn’t it? But you need to rest your mind and body.
    You are not alone. Teacher training is brutal but you are half way there!

7. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Teacher training is so much harder than the day to day teaching too. Because although there's still deadlines and work, you're not feeling like you're observed every minute like you dk when you're training.

It's about managing the time, setting manageable goals. Maybe you timetable your life a bit more until the assignments are done but it'll all be worth it in the end. Also, using things at your disposal. Asking for resources from other teachers, signing up to ****** and asking for help. If you don't ask, you don't get! Keep going. You can do it!

8. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Exact same position...except 3 children. Im at 2 hours daily and im marking in school then up till 11pm every night planning and resourcing. Daily takes me to breaking points!

Too late to back out now. We can sleep in July?