1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teacher burnout

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TT219, Feb 15, 2020.

1. TT219

TT219 New commenter

I have 4 months left of my teacher training course and I have such bad anxiety that I feel like leaving the course. I have just started my second placement in KS2 and feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I am working myself into the ground, not sleeping and feel so overwhelmed with everything that I have to do in the next few months. I am petrified of messing this last but up and don't know if I can cope. I have two children myself and am a mature student. Does anyone else feel like this?

nortonailisha likes this.
  2. Bertra

Bertra New commenter

Hi, I completely know what you are going through. I am agonising over staying or leaving my PGCE. I knew it would be a tough year. Part time does not seem to have made it more manageable, the hours are crazy and I have very little time for my young family. I think you need to ask yourself what it is you are afraid of by not completing the year? If it causes you this much anxiety now, will this get any easier if you are intending to get an NQT role? I think this is definitely a course you have to experience first hand to be believed and there is no shame in admitting it's not for you. I think you will have gained invaluable skills this year, not least in self resilience that you can take forward. It's hard to walk from something you've worked so hard at but it can never come at the cost of your own mental or physical health. Good luck whatever you decide.

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Ok, take a deep breath. Look at your time left in school, you have 2 weeks break in April for Easter, bank holiday Monday in May, May half term then last push and it's over in June. That's 2 lots of 6 weeks.

Teacher training is an absolute endurance test but you have broken the back of it. Make sure you eat well and make sure you don't work every hour god sends. Speak to your mentor about how you're feeling and ask for strategies to help. If you have good relationships in school, as your school mentor what they can suggest, remember, they went through it too. If it get's too much you can take some time off, but be careful as there are very strict attendance requirements, particularly on placement. Put everything on a planner and tick it off as you go, you will see things disappear very quickly.

Try and complete, it's hard work but it's worth the effort.

MissGeorgi and celago22 like this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If you can complete the year you will end up with a very useful qualification, recognised world wide. So it's worth doing.

Talk to your mentor. Let them know you are struggling - don't worry, everyone does, just over different things. Your mentor will not be surprised, believe me.

Plan ahead. Prioritise your work so that you are getting your immediate priorities covered, and have a timetable for dealing with anything else.

And self care. Time with the family. Don't sacrifice that because if you do - who are you actually working for? And teaching doesn't get easier, you just get better at it, better at lording out what you can ignore and when to get things done.

Best of luck, and keep posting on these groups. We've all been there so you'll get lots of encouragement and practical help, if you need it.

5. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

You've got 4 months left, just finish it off then decide if you want to complete your induction year.
    It's a tough year and you just have to play the game.

Gsr25 and agathamorse like this.