1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee teacher - advice for first interview

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by azi_yasmine, Jul 9, 2019.

1. azi_yasmine

azi_yasmine New commenter

HI,

I have just completed my PGCE and I'm looking for advice/tips for my first interview. Any help in term of activities, plenaries, A4L will be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Until you've got details, it would be hard to suggest particular activities, but what I will suggest is that an interview is not the time to 'try out' unknown things. Stick to things you've used before and know work well and adapt for the specifics of the interview lesson.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. azi_yasmine

Thank you for your advice. I just received the details I'll be teaching a one hour lesson for a Year 8 top set class on the topic of my choice. I was thinking about choosing the topic of celebrations to create an engaging lesson.

4. Lara mfl 05

Make sure you have a 'grammar focus' or a 'vocab focus' for your learning objective. When I was trained we were always taught either 'new grammar with known vocab' or 'new vocab with known grammar' and I think that advice is still sound. Your problem , of course, is it's an unknown class, so you're not aware of which they may already know. So keep it simple and ensure you can show student progress.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Remember you need to start with a learning objective. The NC will be a guide but there is nothing to stop you asking the school for a little more information to try and get the pitch right. If you do not have enough information try to use something that has a low threshold (anyone could easily access) but a high ceiling (that there is sufficient depth in what they could do). As @Lara mfl 05 suggests follow the KISS principle though.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. azi_yasmine

Thank you. I'm going to focus on new vocab used with opinions and justifications. As a starter, matching some French and English with a challenge for early finishers. Then, a fact or opinion to reinforce the vocab and introduce opinion + justification. A mini plenary based on the new vocab to assess and show progress. I was thinking about doing a reading gallery after (but not sure if it's a good idea for an interview?) and a speaking game (dice game or trap door)?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

For your starter, you could have a worksheet with words to translate from French to English, then English to French for your mid-ability learners - which would develop their literacy. Then, also leave an extension on the board to challenge the most able students. This activity could be self/peer-assessed as well.

I would stick to what you feel comfortable with, in terms of activities.
    A trap door game is great as it engages everyone, you would have to ensure that the words left on the board have been practiced beforehand so that they know how to pronounce these.
    Another speaking activity which works is "capture du post-it". You would have to purchase enough post-it notes for the whole class - 3 for each student. Leave a dozen key phrases on the board in French - these would be the focus of your lesson - and students will choose three of these and write one each on a post-it note. They will then play in pairs and they have to find out what their working partner said. Whomever gets to start could be determined by playing "pierre feuille ciseaux". If they can guess it right, they take their post-it note and move on working with another peer.
    For these who are finished, ensure to leave an activity to complete in order to avoid any distraction.

Make sure to use as much Target Language as you can.

Best of luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. azi_yasmine

Thank you, I'm going to follow your advice and stick to activities I'm comfortable with - I'm just going to add a 'claim the parcel game' to make translation more fun even if I never tried it before. Fingers crossed!

9. Lara mfl 05

Indeed, fingers crossed here for you too! :)

agathamorse likes this.
  10. azi_yasmine

Thank you :)

agathamorse likes this.
  11. azi_yasmine

Last question : as I have no seating plan, do you think it's a good idea (timewise?) to ask pupils to put name tags on their desks?

12. Lara mfl 05

For me it's a waste of time and does nothing to progress learning,

So what I do, and have always done esp. in language lessons is have a small beanbag, which won't hurt anyone. I explain whoever is thrown the beanbag answers the question and throws it back as they answer. Ensures everyone has to be alert and I can do 'rapid fire questioning', so more children have to participate. In interview lessons I then just explained as they answered that children should say their name with the answer and I had a hasty table plan in front of me to note names as we went. :)

agathamorse likes this.
  13. azi_yasmine

Thank you very much for your idea, it's brilliant! :)

14. azi_yasmine

Thanks everyone for your help, I've got the job! :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Lara mfl 05

Brilliant news @azi_yasmine . upload_2019-8-8_22-35-34.jpeg

Good to hear someone will be keeping the flag flying for languages too! :D

16. azi_yasmine

Thank you @Lara mfl 05 ! Do you have any advice for this year : first day, organisation, expectations please?

17. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

For behaviour, the only advice that I could give you is to define clear boundaries and discipline when needs be. Be wary that the iron fist does not always work and some students will need a different strategy.
    Make sure that you have a seating plan that works for you and is in line with school policy. And learn your students names.
    I don't see the point of laying your expectations for more than 5 minutes as your actions will speak a lot more than anything during the course of the year.

Consult your HoD when it comes to homework, ideas for extension tasks, coursework if they have to etc...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. azi_yasmine

@ChocolateChunk thank you!