1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee primary teacher soon to be an NQT- looking for jobs in north tyneside

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Feb 17, 2011.

1. At the moment, I'm trying to juggle revising for my final year exams in about a month and looking for jobs. I'm using a range of websites like sector 1 but I've hardly found any jobs in north tyneside, which I can reliably get to each day. I'm currently learning to drive but I won't have passed my test by September. I'm looking for a full-time job if possible, starting from September. Can anyone advise me on which other websites I can use please to search for jobs and if you have any advice to offer about getting a job, that would be great. A lot of people from my course and other local universities will be applying for the same jobs so I will need to stand out. Thanks.

2. Does anyone have some advice for me please?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As you're on the TES website, presumably you know that almost all jobs are advertised in the TES?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think you need to be prepared to travel and keep a check on all local LA websites for vacancies (not just NorthTyneside) not many schools round here go to the expense of advertising in the TES to be honest ... sometimes in local papers.
    Depending when you finish university you could help out in local school over the summer to get known? Heads do recommend people they know for supply and vacancies
    good luck

5. I've been looking on TES and on other websites but I haven't seen many jobs being advertised. I know it's a huge disadvantage me not being able to drive and I'm going to be taking an intensive driving course over the summer. I finish university towards the end of June but I'm looking for possible opportunities and things that I can do over the summer break.

6. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

Teachers can only hand in their notice at certain times of the year. This is taken from the ATL website:

Maintained sector and sixth form colleges
    Teachers need to resign by:
    • 31 October for their employment to end on 31 December
    • 28 February for their employment to end on 30 April
    • 31 May for their employment to end on 31 August
    Jobs are obviously more likely to start appearing after these dates.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

8. The pools were no use to me. Best advice is to volunteer for a while in an area you would like to work. Be fantastic. If you are, your head will give you some supply and maybe a maternity cover/or recommend you to someone else.
    Very few adverts for class teachers in the Northeast - all for head and deputy. Class teacher posts must be filled somehow.

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

They absolutely are not!! How many schools can afford that?
    Look on the local authority websites

10. And driving is not essential - public transport in tyneside is good. why are you restricted the

Get a bike! (pedal -- it;s flat enough ... or a moped!!)

11. My only advice is don't limit yourselt to only looking for full time posts or permanent contracts. I did and was unemployed for 8 months. I applied for a part time post, maternity cover got it and did supply the other 3 days to gain experience - when it was available. I worked 2 terms part time then was offered full time and I'm still there. As other posters have said look on the Local Authority websites, Northumberland County Council have a couple of jobs on there, maybe a bit too far for you though. Sector 1 is good and register on the TES to get e-mails when jobs come up.
    Good luck.