1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Trainee Primary Teacher Overseas

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Janey214, Feb 17, 2019.

  1. Janey214

    Janey214 New commenter

    Hi all,

    I am looking to hear from anyone who has been a trainee Primary Teacher abroad (outside the UK). Is teaching really better abroad and if so what made it better ?

    Thanks in advance
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    You want to do teacher training in a different country, you mean? Which country? Why? It would be much more expensive than doing it in the UK, and if you don't understand the curriculum or culture it may be very confusing.

    Alternatively, you can work abroad with a UK PGCE, in an international school, or in a local school in countries such as Australia/NZ. The UK PGCE is highly regarded outside the UK.

    I teach secondary English abroad. I prefer it because I've wanted to live abroad since I was about 8 years old, and because the work load is less, and the salary higher - this isn't true of all international schools though.
    Janey214 and agathamorse like this.
  3. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    I guess the question is - can you get QTS abroad?

    Well, firstly, many countries (eg China, UAE) look for two years experience in teaching before you'll get a work visa. However, you can get into others with less than that. The other obstacle could be that schools often look for people with experience, and so the ones who might consider you might not necessarily be the best schools. So it's possible, but it's not always easy if you don't have the usual 2 years experience.

    Being from Scotland, I don't know the position regarding gaining QTS in England. However, I do know that if you get the PGDE from one of the Scottish universities, you can then get your full status by going down the "flexible route" for training. This gives you the teaching qualification, recognized internationally, and also the teaching practice required should you wish to return to the UK at some point.

    You might be best posing this question in the "Teaching Overseas" board too - there are some who have more experience of QTS than me!
    Janey214 likes this.

Share This Page