1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

trainee!! - phonics intervention

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dan1991h, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Dan1991h

Dan1991h New commenter

Hi,

I found out yesterday i'm doing a phonics intervention with my class (year 3) on Monday.

I'm starting with 'phase 5'. I've had next to no exposure with phonics as my placement has been with a Year 3 class.

Can any one give me any tips or advice. I know the order for teaching a phonics lesson. But with Phase 5 which order should i teach the Phonemes?!

thanks in advance!

2. Lajadius

Lajadius New commenter

It really depends on what scheme your school follows. If you follow letters and sounds, the book will tell you the order of phonemes. Alternatively, there is a lot of online planning around. I would only start on phase 5 if phase 3 is secure. My year 3 class who are still having phonics have had to revisit those sounds.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

'Phase 5' is about teaching the children alternative spellings for phonemes (and later on, alternative pronunciations).

You start off with a grapheme they know (or should know... if they aren't secure with it, as Lajadius says, you will need to work on that first) and introduce an alternative. So say you take /oi/ (as in 'join') and introduce the alternative spelling /oy/. You might ask them to think of as many words as they can which contain this sound. Make two lists on the board - /oi/ words and /oy/ words. See if the children can spot a pattern about when you use which spelling; depending which phoneme you choose, there may not be a clear pattern, but in this example there is (which is why I suggested taking /oi/ to start with!) - /oi/ in the middle of words, /oy/ at the end. This being English, there may be exceptions to a pattern, and it's worth drawing attention to this while still accepting the presence of a general pattern.

4. TESiboard-resources

TESiboard-resources New commenter

lots of phonics games, flashcards and books [in a progression very similar to Letters and Sounds] at http://www.tesphonics.com/ (free 30-day trial available). Try module 9 onwards for equivalent of phase 5. If you have any questions, please message us in a conversation here or email: iboard@tes.co.uk

5. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Google Babcock education phonics phase 5 and they have free online progression planning to show the order you can teach all the bits and pieces. Can you ask a teacher in year one for some planning?

My advice would be to plan a four part lesson, revisit/review, teach something new, practise the new learning, apply it by reading or writing it in a sentence. Plan to do something fun, active, game based in at least one part of the session per day.

Phonicsplay is a life saver if you have access to a computer.