1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee in need of CV advice

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by monkleymoo, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Hi, could anyone give me any advice on creating a good, no great CV? I know the basics but would welcome suggestions and any tips you may think useful. What worked for you? What to avoid? That kind of thing.
    I would be most grateful :O)

2. Hi, could anyone give me any advice on creating a good, no great CV? I know the basics but would welcome suggestions and any tips you may think useful. What worked for you? What to avoid? That kind of thing.
    I would be most grateful :O)

3. There are many sites on the internet that will help you with a CV. This is only one part of it though. I put far more emphasis on the supporting letter. This gives candidates the chance to tell me why they want to come and work as a member of my team.

I suppose, being very simplistic, the CV tells me what they have done, the letter tells me their philosophy and what they would like to do.

Spend more time on this letter and make sure you adapt it for each individual job you apply for.

There are many teachers here who will give you advice. I suggest that when you have written your CV/letter, post an email address and we will gladly contact you, look at what you have written and pass on comments.

Good luck.

4. Thank you remyk69, will do once I've got that far! Very grateful for your help, much appreciated. :0)

5. Try and keep it as brief as possible. If a sentence makes sense without a word, then chances are you do not need it! Employers often have hundreds of CVs to look through, so the more concise it is the better. It also depends what type of CV you are looking to create really. I needed a CV that focused more on my personality and key skills, than my experience. I only had two years teaching experience, and the post I was applying for suggested they wanted five. I went To CV-Shop.com and they helped me with my CV, making it more suitable to this particular job. So yeah, if you are really stuck, try them.
    J

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Only one school has ever asked me for a CV. The rest just want an application form and covering letter/supporting statement. I'd say the letter is the main thing that will get you an interview. Good luck xx