1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trainee at the moment with possible plans for UAE (specifically Qatar)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alexsknight, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am mid-training at the moment, but decided with my mentor to check out the job market at our last meeting, which revealed a couple of jobs in my subject in UAE - which prompted a bit of thought from me about the future career etc. After qualifying this year I will be able to teach all sciences up to KS4, with Chemistry up to KS5 (and Psychology - which my degree is in). Are chemistry teachers as sought after over there as they are in the UK?

Now I am well aware that I need to finish training, complete my induction year (and probably a couple more years on top!) before I even think about going abroad, but kind of wanted to get an idea about what life would be like out there as a teacher? Perhaps specifically focusing on:

What are the students like in UAE?
    What kind of salaries are offered to teachers (who say, have 2/3 years teaching experience after qualifying)?
    Is there a typical benefits package offered to international teachers?
    What are the best schools over there (specifically Qatar)?
    Would it be difficult to get a job when returning to the UK after say 5 years?

Possibly a bit of a testimonial if you are out there right now too.

I would appreciate any answers people could give as this could be something I am very keen on doing in the future!

Thanks!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Why Qatar?

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Qatar is not in the UAE.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Looks like somebody needs to do their homework first!

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Sounds like someone also needs to check out the difficulty of getting employment visas in the ME if your first degree is not in the subject you wish to teach.

6. You can work in the UAE if your first degree is not in the subject you teach.

7. I am in the UAE and I get the impression that the more Arabs you have in the school the worse the discipline is.
    For 2 years experience with a 1st degree my school pays around $45,000 US plus housing and bills.