1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trained teacher looking for work in US

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jessicamulle, Jun 7, 2016.

1. jessicamulle

jessicamulle New commenter

Hi,
    In September I start my final year of primary teacher training and will leave next year with QTS. I am looking to take a year out before completing my NQT year in the UK, preferably to travel to the USA for around 12 months. While I am there, I want to find relevant work (e.g. teaching/ teaching assistant) that will be useful for getting jobs when I come back to England. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to find relevant jobs in the US or abroad.

Thanks

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I recommend signing up to teachers-teachers.com American schools advertise vacancies on there. You will need to get sponsored through I believe the J-1 visa programme or another one. There is a thread on the overseas trained teacher forum on here which goes through the formalities of getting a teacher's license for the USA. I do believe this is the best advice I can give you.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It is difficult, expensive and time consuming for International schools to hire people. The vast majority will only offer a 2 year minimum initial contract. That way they can justify the effort and cost of hiring you. Your other option would be to try state schools, but from what i have seen on this forum, that can be a very long drawn out process with many hoops to jump though. It hardly seems worth it for only 12 months.

Have you considered doing some volunteering work instead?

4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

There have been quite a few positive posts about VIF here in the past. Might well be worth checking it out.... https://www.vifprogram.com/

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

To get a visa for you in the US, the school would need to demonstrate that you have some special skill for the job that can't be filled by an American.

How will you combine your first year of teaching, which is incredibly hard work requiring you to stick to one location, with a year of travel?