1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Trained teacher looking for relevant work in US

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by jessicamulle, Jun 7, 2016.

  1. jessicamulle

    jessicamulle New commenter

    In September I start my final year of primary teacher training and will leave next year with QTS. I am looking to take a year out before completing my NQT year in the UK, preferably to travel to the USA for around 12 months. While I am there, I want to find relevant work (e.g. teaching/ teaching assistant) that will be useful for getting jobs when I come back to England. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to find relevant jobs in the US or abroad.

  2. rachel_g41

    rachel_g41 Established commenter

  3. JNolan78

    JNolan78 New commenter

    Hi Jessica..

    I live and work in the US. I'm a US citizen, born and raised. I'm doing the reverse... I want to live and work in the UK. I have worked in the special education field for over 10 years and several years in the residential sector working with the mentally ill. Working as a teacher in the US is no walk in the park. Under staffed, extremely under funded, and under paid (depending on the area). Depends what state and city you work in, but most schools here are a mess. I have worked all over. As far as your job prospects, they are good if you have the right to work in the US. We have a major teacher and support staff shortage, especially in special education. They will hire pretty much anyone with a degree. The turn over rate is through the roof. In the US, schools are categorized by "school districts" and there can be several districts in a major city. Here in Northern California, our schools are not very good. Test scores are very low and in turn, funding gets cut.

    I work for a non-public special education school and day treatment center. The good news is, there are lots of privately run schools within most major cities. This includes non-profit and/or non-public schools for special education, charter schools, etc. In California, if you have a degree, you can get what is called an "emergency teaching credential". This basically gives you the right to apply for teaching jobs that are "fill spots". You can also be a substitute teacher with only a BA or BS degree, but I believe now they have made it where you have to take what is called the "CBEST", but I could be wrong. Each state has their own requirements to be a teacher, assistant, etc. I can only speak for California.

    Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help.



Share This Page