1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trained teacher from Nigeria

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by oyinda74, Mar 8, 2016.

1. oyinda74

oyinda74 New commenter

Hello everyone,

Please I would like some insight on teaching in the UK. I recently relocated to the UK to join my husband. I'm a little confused on what I need to do to get a teaching job here. I have a BA.Ed with 7 years experience working with early years/ks1 stages in Nigeria. I also just completed an international diploma in the Montessori method of education (3-5 yrs) before coming to the UK.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/

You need to have your qualifications checked against English ones using the above. You need to gain QTS to work in a maintained school, though it is possible to teach in fee paying schools, acadamies and free schools without QTS. Most schools using a Montessori method are private fee paying schools though I think there are some free schools using this method. Try doing some supply work through an agency to gain experience in the English school system.

3. praise2003

praise2003 New commenter

Same advise ad the first person. It might take time, get you transcript and course content ready because they might ask you.
    Meanwhile req with agencies, you will need a lots of patience to teach here. Good luck

4. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016