1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trained in Primary PGCE 5 - 11; am I mad to apply for an EYFS post?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Feb 21, 2012.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I'm currently doing my NQT year in Nursery and like you was trained 5-11 years. I never in a million years pictured myself with a Nursery class but here I am 5 months later I absolutely love it. I couldn't imagine teaching another class right now, and I've settled in so quickly. I've took time to read around the EY's and although it looks like the curriculum is changing, I've really got my head around it and find the planning much more enjoyable and creative!
    I say go for it, you've nothing to lose and plenty to gain!

2. I also trained in 5-11 during my PGCE but i've just started my NQT year teaching reception and I love it!! It was very overwhelming at first with so much to take in but it's definitely worth it. I think you should go for it, follow your heart and see what happens! :)

3. Thank you for your replies. I've decided to go for it and have handed in my application form! :)

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

5. Good luck. I made the move too, and could not be happier in EYFS.

6. Mad? Definitely not. Brave? Risk taker? Yes. Is that you?

7. no you are not mad! I trained in 5-11 like you and have got an interview for FS2, so you can do it toox

8. Hello Emily,

Can I ask how did you get on? I am in a very similar situation to
    yours, I completed the Primary SCITT 5-11 but looking to apply for an EYFS job
    in a school I love/do regular supply in. I have always preferred KS1/EYFS but
    with having a very small amount of experience- I don't really feel like I have
    a chance. I am reading up on as much as possible and I am a keen learner!! I'm
    just pondering about my statement! If you could give any advice I would be grateful!
    Many thanks :)