1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

traffic lights over load??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kitty_little86, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT just finished my first full term of my initial year and have lots of ideas buzzing around my head.
    I'm currently working within year 1 andam going to introduce a traffic light system as a way for childrne to assess their own learning. The idea is that children place a coloured cube infront of them during the lesson which reflects how they are feeling about thier work (in terms of difficulty etc) and then traffic light their work at the end of the lesson (placing a soloured spot in the top coner).

I've also seen another teacher using using something called ticked pink and green for growth when marking childrens work. pink is to identify wow words for example if used in literacy and green is used where childrne may have forgotten a capital letter etc.

My dilema is; are the children going to get confused with both the traffic lights and the tickled pink/green for growth, we currently write any spelling mistakes at the bottom of their work in green when marking so think that this would work quite nicely with that but is this likely to get confuse with the green for the traffic lights which means they've met the learning objectives etc?

Comment, ideas and suggestions welcom!

Thanks
    Vicki

2. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

In Y1, I would try to not overload them. I think you're right and that it is too much for them. The cubes idea is a sound one and very well-used in many schools. If you're looking for some kind of self-assessment in terms of things they've done well and things they need to work on, why not use two stars and a wish? Fairly simple to use, but will require modelling a lot first - put a piece of work on the visualiser or scan in onto IWB and point out best parts. Give them stars to stick on so they don't have to write what is good and use a swirl (I'm sure you could get some sort of sticker like that) to represent the thing you want them to improve.
    HTH.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The tickled pink and green to grow marking is fab. Children can see at a glance where they have met the LO (pink) and what they need to do to improve (green). It saves you heaps of time writing comments that they will not read.

Personally, I hate the cubes/cards/cups on desks for children to communicate. I'd rather they asked me if they weren't sure what they were doing. Verbal communication is so important and for those shyer children, it is better for them to have a quiet chat with their teacher than sit with a red cube/card/cup for all to see.

I also hate lots of 'stuff' on desks for children to fiddle with, drop, argue about, etc. I can't see that having three cubes per child (assuming you have 30 red, orange and green cubes in the first place!) lying around on desks won't lead to arguments and fussing about.

If they are year 1 (I think you said) they surely won't be sitting at desks working individually very much anyway will they? So the cubes won't actually get used?

4. I've taught Year 1 and Year 2 for several years now. Your choice depends very much on the maturity of the children you have, but in my experience the traffic light system works well, including marking their own work. Initially, they all mark and show green (!) but gentle encouragement and discussion about how important it is to ask if unsure always resolved any issues in my class. It was ok to be wrong/not sure and I made that clear EVERY lesson.
    I would not use more than that. Tickled pink etc is probably too sophisticated for most year 1s. You need to use systems that benefit the children .

5. Do you work at my school? We use cubes, traffic lights in books and tickled pink and green for growth! Our year 1 children cope well with it! No fiddling or messing around if you train them well not to mess about! Can easily see who might need help without too much disruption. The children can see clearly how they are doing with traffic lights and pink and green comments! If you think they will be confused I guess you could use green and red instead of pink and green but our children don't get confused!

6. Hi, you could use a face system - smiley if they got it, sad if they didn't, straight mouth if they need more help. Works with my y1s.