1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Traffic light system in Year 2

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by xteachersarahx, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I will be starting a new job in January in Year 2 and keen to implement some sort of behaviour management system in the class. At the moment the children have golden time and time can be taken off this, although I've been told that often this does not happen and inappropriate behaviour in class isn't properly followed through.
    I'm an NQT so not had my own class before but when I had a teaching practice placement in Year 4 they had a good system where there is a small board and each child has a pocket on the board with a green/yellow/red card in. If after a verbal warning the child repeats an innappropriate behaviour the green card at the front is changed to a yellow. Or depending on the behaviour it could go straight to red.
    I was then thinking if at the end of the day a childs cards is on yellow- equates to one minute off golden time and if on red- two minutes off golden time. If the childs card is on red I could also then keep them in for a few minutes at breaktime and talk about their behaviour. This worked very well with Year 4, do you think it sounds OK for Year 2? They are quite mature Year 2's but after oberving for a few days I think some sort of system needs to be in place.
    Any other ideas? Rewards are fine (praise, stickers, golden time etc) just after an actual warning system where I can be consistent and keep track of any loss of golden time and the children can take more responsibility for their own behaviour.

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Hi,

We use a traffic light system throughout the school. We have it like a traffic light - coloured card background, three circles from green to red.Each child's name is on a piece of laminated card and everyone starts on green each day.They can move back to amber or green if their behaviour changes appropriately. Peer pressure helps to keep a lot of children on green.Moving straight to red is only for very bad behaviour eg. swearing at staff, punching another child.
    Good luck with your new job :)

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi there
    While it's always a good idea to import ideas from previous experience and placements, be sensitive to the new context. These children are younger, much younger in many ways. Will your system be too complicated for them all to follow? Will they be able to follow the subtlety of the colour coding? This is something that only you can assess, so perhaps discuss it with the incumbent teacher if you can.
    I think that the one minute/ two minute sanction is fairly slight, though. I could hold my breath for longer! For a sanction to be effective it has to be uncomfortable enough for them to not want to be there again. It doesn't have to contravene the Geneva Convention on Child Rights, merely inconvenience them. A lost break, or lunch time would be more appropriate for a serious offence.
    Also, whatever you do, make sure that the time between misdemeanour/ felony and consequence is as small as possible. The younger the child, the more important this is.
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his personal
    blog, or follow him on Twitter here.