1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Traffic Light/Noiseometer - Any experiences to share?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by jenstowell, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jenstowell

jenstowell New commenter

Hi

I was just wondering if any one has any experience of using a traffic light system?

My class is very chatty. I don't want to impose total silence, so I thought a traffic light would allow them the opportunity to work quietly and be aware when they are getting too loud.

I made a traffic light but I'm finding its a real faff to have to keep getting up to change it when I'm trying to work with a focus group.

I've also seen these automatic traffic lights Chatter Tracker, which flash/beep when noise too high, but not sure whether to invest in one.

Any ideas/experiences you have to share would be much appreciated!

2. We had one a few years ago and as far as I can remember the pupils worked hard to make it change to red and make a noise! Soon stopped using it!! I can see it may work with different classes- it depends on the children and teacher I imagine...

3. BlueJuno

BlueJuno New commenter

I've used it in the past and have found that the same happens with my students; they just talk louder! I have a particularly chatty year nine class at the moment and have designed a resource to help control it...it works amazingly well with my students - it's uploaded in resources and is called 'super mario brothers chatter controller'. Might be worth a look/adaptation?

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

If it's a faff, I think you've answered your own question; strategies that impede teaching need to be binned. Although I'm sure your traffic light was lovely :)
    Sound is a good way of communicating; try a whistle, or a small bell to indicate noise levels getting too high. Those who persist beyond this point, or think that the bell/ whistle is sport, should be kept in after school/ lunch time, where they can laugh at your methods as much as they like while they miss playtime. In fact, no they can't.
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.