1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Traditional Tales Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosieandjim, Feb 22, 2011.

1. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

I am really hoping that you kind people will be able to help a very stressed NQT. I am really struggling with my traditional tales planning as l just do not know where l should begin.
    I had planned to use the book Mr Wolf and the Pancakes with my year 2 class as it seems they have already looked at many of the more obvious tales like Jack and the Beanstalk, Red Riding Hood etc. I thought t would also be seasonally appropriate adn it would give us a chance to make pancakes.
    I thought we would begin by making a story map to ensure that we sequence the events correctly and the children become really familar with the story.
    I have done so much searching for ideas of planning that l think l am just completely numbed and l don't know how to best approach the planning. I know that l need to look at chracter, plot and setting, but in what order?
    I thought l would also look at Mama Panya's pancakes by way of a contrast. Would that be a good idea or just too confusing?
    Sorry to sound so wet, but l am just going ropund in circles after hours of searching and l would be so grateful for some help. Thank you.

2. rosieandjim

Anyone please. I would be so grateful for ideas. Thank you.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you looked at the plans in the resources section of this site. There are none based on the book you intend to use, but plenty of examples of planning such as:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Traditional-Tale-planning-week-one-and-two-6005346/
    Could you insert activities from your book into a plan like this as a starting point? The activities in this resource for week one could be used for any book, in the main. The activity for the second week could give you ideas of activities of your own.
    Hope this helps.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. Try getting the kids to retell the story using actions (pie corbett style etc)

6. Hi
    don't worry if they have already 'looked' at obvious ones like little red riding hood etc, they will be looking through different eyes and different objectives.
    Def do some Pie Corbett story telling, mapping, get them to act it all out, write letters to the characters, find some (or make up) some alternative endings.
    Great LRRH drama lesson once- not mine sadly- where the teacher was in role as the wolf in hospital and grandma was in the bed next door - a police officer interviewed both and the doctors had to keep their identity a secret. They got soo much out of it and learnt loads about characterisation.
    Im doing Little Red Riding hood- also doing electricity, they are going to make a door bell or a burgalar alarm for grandma using a simple circuit.
    Think about what you want them to learn, not necessarily which story.
    Also- take a break, your on half term xxxxxxxxx

7. The Hamilton website has a load of good planning on it. You do have to pay to join, but I've joined this year and found it really useful. You could compare what the wolf if like in Little Red Riding Hood to what he's like in Mr Wolf and the Pancakes- do things like character profiles, role play, hot seating... Or what about things like making a story map/cartoon strip to show what happened in the story? I'd look at the Strategies website too, as it should have the phases for learning on for that unit.. that might help with knowing what to do when!
    Hope that helped a bit! x

8. I have some planning I think of at least the first few weeks of the TT unit (bearing in mine I have a LA P-level-class if you want to look over the ideas.
    I missed the last 2 weeks plans due to absence but they spend those weeks doing Little Red Hen and comparing contrasting, doing the same activities and then writing their own TT based on one of the stories writing frame.
    For me going over stories they have heard before helps especially with lower children as they can access any activity straight away.
    It might be no use to you as it is all based around LRRH and the LRH, but if you have any P-level to a 1b range you are more than welcome to glance at it.

9. That clearly made no sense sorry (half term brain). (Sorry about paragraphs Chrome does not like them). It was meant to say: I teach a P level - 1B range and taught the first 2 weeks of this unit based around Little Red Riding Hood and the Little Red Hen. I have the first 2 weeks of planning (The LRRH part). Weeks 3 repeated the activities to LRH and week 4 focused around writing their own TT using the writing frame (and rote learning from Pie Corbett) from either story (they picked). Because we spent so long on the oral retelling (mostly EAL and SEN) the writing improved massively and my APP went well for end of unit. If you feel this would be helpful to look at just let me know (noting only got first 2 weeks).

10. rosieandjim

Thank you so much for your help. I am so grateful. Sometimes you just cannot see the wood for the trees and l do not really hav e any opne to discuss ideas with, so spend an eternity thinking that l am not doing it right.

I would really love to have a look at your planning.
    m.e.collins1@btinternet.com

11. rosieandjim

Thanks again l am so grateful.

12. No problems- just hope it helped!!! Hope you are feeling better about it xx

13. rosieandjim

We have started by trying to write a character profile of Mr Wolf which they are not finding easy. I had read about doing character pockets but l need to research this a little more. I found a few good ideas on here on another thread which l think l will try. x