1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Traditional tales, year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by billygoatgriff, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I start a new job after half term in Y1.My first literacy unit will be Traditional tales. I thought about doing the 3 pigs, cinderella, the little red hen and billy goats gruff.
    I have lots of ideas buzzing around my head but I'm finding it difficult to put them down into a reasonable set of lesson plans. This is my first time in Y1 after 8 years in Y5/6!!
    If anybody has any plans that they have used successfully with year 1 on traditional tales that they would be willing to share to give me some ideas on where to go with this I'd be really grateful.
    jgriff3@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd be a bit more adventurous if I were you. These [apart from Cinderella] will have been covered at length in the FS.
    By Yr 1, they're ready for Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel and more.
    Just a thought to save you and the children from Death by Over-Familiar Fairy Tale.

3. Thanks for that. What about Billy Goats Gruff or Red Riding Hood, will they have covered those in the FS do you think?

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

Year 2 will also do traditional tales, so check witht hem too.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

a

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry for that - I was testing because my laptop's playing up.

They should have done. Having said that, there's plenty of meat on those stories.
    By Yr I, I like to get them thinking about similarities, so loose themes such as Magical Transformations or the Magic Number Three are fun. When you approach it thematically, you'd be amazed at the way the children spot links. It's really good for their 'sense of story'.

8. Thanks again inky. Do you have an example that I can look at please?

9. Hi, we have just completed this unit and covered the three little pigs for 3 weeks, doing lots of drama, comparing the original with three little wolves and the true story of 3 little pigs (the kids loved this one and got some great writing from it, letters, news reports etc) They didn't get bored kept it upbeat!