1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Trade unions overseas(China)

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mrs_St, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Mrs_St

Mrs_St New commenter

I am moving to Shanghai in August to work at an international school on a 2 year contract. Due to the upcoming NUT strike in the UK, a question has popped up: any sense in keeping the NUT membership while teaching in China? Can they assist in any way? Are there any alternative trade unions for teachers abroad? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

There are as far as I am aware no trade unions for international teachers. This is one of the gambles you take when working overseas. If you going overseas and intend to go back the UK, contact your Union and find out what your options are as far as cancelling or suspending membership. That's what I would do. Good luck. Not sure I'd want to go back to the UK now I've left.

3. miss303

miss303 New commenter

Perhaps it's worth reading up on China to understand why a 'trade union' as we know it would not exist or offer protection to you as an international teacher. As ejclibrarian says, taking a contract abroad is a gamble and your Chinese contract doesn't offer you the same rights as in the UK. I'm not saying this to scare you, it's just a fact. The only really 'safe' thing to do is get a job with one of the larger, reputable chains and do your research. What companies have a good reputation.

Good luck in Shanghai. I enjoyed my 2 years in China very much.

4. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

To echo the points already made - no there won't be a trade union.

Some schools, in my experience the 'better' ones, often have a staff council that represents staff and staff concerns. This is far from the same as a union but does give a forum for staff input and representation.

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Trade unions/China/Tiananmin Square etc etc.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No unions here in China.

7. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

No unions in China. Read your contract carefully and make sure that your dialogue with colleagues and SMT is constructive. Shanghai is a wonderful place - we enjoyed our four years there very much indeed!

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Nice to see you The Hippo:)

9. Mrs_St

Mrs_St New commenter

Thank you for all the people who gave replied kindly. I think I'll cancel my NUT membership, no point paying for it.