1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tracks that make you emotional

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 30, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

And this can be in a good, teary or bittersweet way.

I think Deadmaus's 'The Weldt' resonates on a deeply emotional level.

What are your tracks?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

As long as popular music is allowed?

The Beatles' In my life reminds me of a boyfriend who died suddenly;
    REM's Losing my religion reminds me of a bad boy I dated at university

Also love Ashokan Farewell (listen on YouTube), which was used in Ken Burns' Civil War series

HelenREMfan and cassandramark2 like this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Erik Satie's Gymnopedie is beautiful and always moves me.

I am always uplifted when I hear Elbow's One Day Like This.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I always have a bit of a snivel at the Lone Piper at the Edinburgh Tattoo, and "Memories", from Cats usually makes me cry.
    I'm quite pathetic, really.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

For those in peril on the sea, I held it together throughout my Dad's funeral but when they played this, followed by The Last Post, tears just streamed down my face.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

'In my life' is one of mine, too. A very close friend had it sung at her wedding last year and I blubbed pathetically.

Elbow's 'One day like this', also.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Steeleye Span - The Song Will Remain
    Beetles - In My Life
    Saens Sans - 3rd Symphony (the section used in Babe the Sheep Pig)
    Kirsty McColl - Days
    Sibelius - Finlandia (the hymn Be Still My Soul)
    Film music to The Big Country
    Chris de Burgh - Borderline and Say Goodbye to it All (as one track)

All of those - and others - 'catch' me when I hear them and bring back a flood of memories

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

At the end of 2012 into 2013 I went through a bad period in my life and I bought a CD when I was coming 'out' of this bad period.
    I went to a rave in NYE that year and there was a countdown and they played - some of the very tracks from the CD! The combination of almost feeling like the DJ was personally playing to me and seeing the last seconds of what had started a dreadful year dribble away on the countdown was quite probably the most emotionally intense (in a good way) 5 minutes of my entire life. It is amazing how music can be so powerful.

lanokia likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The last time my Dad was physically capable of dancing with my Mum they danced to 'Moon River', which had always been their song. He'd been given a few hours out of his nursing home and they danced in the lounge of their own home in front of the rest of us. Difficult not to get emotional at the memory of that.

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Oh, magic. This is uncanny! I've just come back from a dementia training session and we were shown the video Featherhead. It shows an elderly couple, she with dementia, dancing to Moon River in their lounge, whilst flashbacks of them as a young couple played. Thank God the lights were off.
    Don't watch it.

magic surf bus likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I like stuff like this... just running along in the background. For exercising, marking, running...

Just one example.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My Old Dutch

13. magic surf bus

Cripes. Obviously an important track for the generation that is currently suffering from dementia.

Might be a bit more problematic for me when my time comes - Punk Rock has always meant a great deal to me :)

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. monicabilongame

could be a problem if your youth was filled with headbanging at gigs too!

magic surf bus likes this.
  15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh yes, 'Days' (McColl version preferred, but Kinks original will do) does it for me also.

16. monicabilongame

Love the Kinks' version, but there something about the progressive introduction of instruments in McColl's version, plus....... well, her voice too really.

coffeekid likes this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Beatles _ In My Life
    Adele- Someone Like You
    First Cut is the Deepest by anyone
    Goo Goo Dolls- Iris
    Lady Antebellum- Need You Now

That'll do to be going on with.

lanokia and bombaysapphire like this.
  18. magic surf bus

..but what a marvelous way to make an exit. Grandad/ma's last mosh.

les25paul likes this.
  19. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good grief!!
    When saw the thread title, my immediate thought was 'You'll Never Walk Alone' by anyone but reading some of the other songs mentioned, I have a lump the size of a suit case in my throat!! Many of the titles here are dear to me also. 'Be Still My Soul' was sung at my brother's ordination and has become a favourite with the extended family, many of them requesting it to be a part of their requiem mass. Consequently it's on my tear-inducing list.

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I adore Ashokan Farewell. It reminds me of watching The Civil War series with my much loved and long departed dad. My youngest daughter spent weeks secretly learning the tune and moved me to tears by playing it on her violin at her primary school leavers' service. Such a haunting melody. I can't listen to it without reaching for the tissues.

Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.