1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

tracking pupils progress

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by stratford1, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Hey everyone
    Have just taken on role of deputy head, and one of my first tasks is to think up of a way of tracking pupil progress. I work in an international school. I have got some ideas, but would be extremely grateful if you would be able to share how you track the progress of pupils in your school. Just to get the ball rolling, and so that I can see different approaches.
    Thanks

2. Hey everyone
    Have just taken on role of deputy head, and one of my first tasks is to think up of a way of tracking pupil progress. I work in an international school. I have got some ideas, but would be extremely grateful if you would be able to share how you track the progress of pupils in your school. Just to get the ball rolling, and so that I can see different approaches.
    Thanks

3. My school are adopting these tests this year:

http://www.acer.edu.au/isa/

They are used in an increasing number of international schools and are not culture or country specific so anyone can use them eg: a child would not be expected to know about a tv program one would only see on UK t.v. (A problem that SATs has).

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Assessment For Learning (AFL) is all about tracking pupil progress and using the tracking to decide on a way of improving student performance. Sorry Hippo, marks books are so 1950. Use spreadsheets. Learn how to write formulas. It will introduce you to a world of possibilities.
    Seriously, look at AFL. Its been around for a long time and you dont have to go creating masses of extra work to get the benefit.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Having introduced AfL to two schools I naturally agree with the above.
    Hippo, old chap, you really do need to wake up: the 21st century started 10 years ago (or 11 if you misunderstand dating systems).
    As to the OP...I think you've been promoted beyond your ability if that is your question. I expect all basic teachers to know the answer to that, and if my deputyt asked that question on a forum I'd be very disappointed.
    If any school in my neck of the wood needs AfL training, do PM me. I'm very cheap to hire for weekends[​IMG])

6. MisterMaker

I'm not sure about the etiquette rules have to say regarding the quoting of one's own posting, but I have just read the article below:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-13274212
    I'd like to make it clear that just because I was offering out my 'services' in return beer does not make me a prostitute. Furthermore, before I hear any sniggers, an overwieght 40 something from 'up north' is deeemed very attractive in some parts of the world and large sums are handed over for nights of bliss which such folk.
    Anyhow, possibly because I'm heartless, I found the lady's story quite funny; clearly it takes more than a few pints and money for drugs to be regarded as a prozzy in Plymouth..

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter

So a computer will magically mark all of my class's exercise books for me and it will even write "Well done, Mohammed!" at the bottom of the page. Fantastic! Why didn't anyone tell me before? (Will it correct the children's work in red or green ink, I wonder?)

8. I thought AFL was an idea to identify at what level an individual student was and then try to develop them from there, as much as possible as individuals, and within the class environment to differentiate and provide the 'smart' learning they would need. Pretty tough stuff!
    I have been working for more than the last ten years as well - I do hope I haven't been left behind. That's a lie actually - I don't care.
    Do you make a point of addressing your staff as such? "Morning all, as basic teachers, I would expect, at the very least etc. etc....". Heaven only knows what your staff think of their basic head!
    Have a few more brother...[​IMG]
    Love FP - alias Mr. F*****g Chips.

9. MisterMaker

Yes, and along with APP allows student's progressed to be tracked.
    I made be a basic head, but I think you take out of the context wot i wrote. Basic level entry level would have been beeter inglish but i not gud at that.. not trying to demeen me own teahes.

10. MisterMaker

Not sure you know what we're talking about. A computer may be used for data entry and massaging (nothing to do with Thai parlours) but the teacher still has to assess work and give feedback. Except for things like a CAT assessment, computers don't tend to mark work, but if they could you would be able to decide which colour ink if you had a preference. I guess you still use red!
    Go read the original Black Box book, you'll be surprised how useful it is.

11. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I watched an AFL game once, it was at the MCG and Geelong won.

12. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter

So, Mister_Maker, by your own admission I still have to mark my class's work! As for this data entry thing, surely it is quicker just to write their marks down in my mark book? That way, I won't have to switch on my computer, wait for Windows, enter my password, then load up the piece of software I will need and type in the numbers or letters or whatever.

13. I think that it is about what you do with the information and how you use it. If the marks are recorded in a tracking program there are a number of things you can do with it that would take you ages any other way. As an example: I run a little tables test with my Y2 class each week (old fashioned I know, but apparently trendy again)- their scores are entered on a spreadsheet as the tests are marked. The spreadsheet automatically makes a graph of each individual child's progress. They beg me to put up their graph of their performance on the whiteboard and many ask for me to show their parents. They love to see how they are improving in a more pictorial form. Using computers makes tracking progress and analysis of progress and attainment so easy you would be mad not to take advantage of it (in my opinion).

There were paragraphs, but I know chrome and TES are not nice to each other, sorry.

14. MisterMaker

15. We supposedly have AFL in our school. I remember the head talking about it one day. These theories are all BS - made for those who perpetuate them to sound intelligent and to add another layer of damn bureacracy onto our teaching loads with no recompense. I use a mark book. That shows my student's progress. For the last four years I have had an average of 6.2 in my IB classes and 80% A-B in my GCSE. Filling in endless forms/software is not going to improve that!

16. MisterMaker

You poor thing. If you knew anything about AfL you'd know TPP is just one small part, indeed APP is really the TPP part.
    As to your boostful 6.2 average, it is entirely irrelevant. If your students had the potential to be averaging 6.5 you would be a substandard teacher, whereas a teacher averaging 4.5 with a group that meets that level, they would be a success story.
    As you clearly don't understand AfL, why do you presume it is BS. There aren't any teachers who have suggested AfL won't improve their teaching after one of my training sessions. It sounds like you haven't had any actual training.

17. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Any school with any semblence of pedagogy will have AfL. It might not go under that name, but even a half decent teacher will use aspects of assessment for learning, whether formative or summative, in their teaching methodology irrespective of how they feel about the acronym AfL.
    So do I. It just happens to be in the form of google documents.
    As MM - in between getting paralytic at yet another championship by the team that cannot be named - that means nothing. If you are teaching maths studies with kids who should be doing HL, or English B with native English speakers then they are underachieving. If you are getting this in English A1 HL with non-native English speakers then that is something else.
    Assuming that this is reflected in their exam results.
    There appears to be a misapprehension about AfL that it is endless forms and what have you. It is really nothing of the sort. Any teacher worth their salt will be using aspects of AfL without even thinking about it.

18. 1) I am a heavily language based subject with a strong majority of second-language or third-language speakers. So don't easily dismiss me there chaps. I am not boasting - I'm using it to illustrate my point.
    2) It seems anytime we want to add some sexy sounding new acronyms to our school we are forced into vast amounts of new paperwork by those in charge to justify their existence.
    3) I probably do incorporate some aspects of various theories into my teaching. And it seems to work.
    4) I studied a number of theories in my M.Ed about 15 years ago. How many of them are used now? Zero I'd say.

19. AfL won't exist in a few years time, well it will, it just won't be called that.
    How about ALL? Appropriate Learning Levels
    ALSP - Ability Level Starting Point.
    LAD - Level for Approprite Development
    MAT - Marking and Testing [​IMG]

20. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

... or how about
    Cumulative Response Assessment Programmes?