1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking GLD

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gs019, Sep 26, 2019.

1. gs019

gs019 New commenter

Hi

As part of our school SDP, my head wants us to track the % of children on track to achieve GLD by the end of the year. The trouble I have had with this in the past is that we have found it can jump quite a bit due to involving all 12 areas and some being dependent on others (such as specific depending on prime etc).

We have previously looked at children on track in 9 or more areas to give a rough guide as I feel children don't necessarily make equal progress in all areas.

I would really like to know if anyone else tracks GLD throughout the year and how you do it? We input data into SIMs for tracking and have moved away from Tapestry and other computer systems for the time being as we felt the iPads got in the way of the interaction!

Thanks in advance!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Do you do any kind of baseline?
    The general guidance used to be that children working comfortably 30-50 and showing aspects of 40-60 months should reach the ELG, those already secure at 40-60 should be aiming for exceeding and only those working below 30-50 are more likely to be emerging.
    But it is only a guide because children don't progress in chunks, as we all know. Interestingly this guidance is missing from the new Ofsted handbook presumably because if their lesser focus on progress data.
    To be honest I've probably seen every tracking system imaginable many of which are so much more complex than they need to be.

I'm not sure the 9 or more areas is sound because it depends on the areas.
    Do you currently assess by using the age bands?

3. Danousia

Danousia New commenter

I am currently early years lead and needed a simple to use system that tracks data from our two year old provision through to GLD and KS1, as I was tired of the limitations and overly complex way the soon to be defunct pupil tracker works. So, my husband who runs a small data analysis company, custom built an excel based program for me to use at my school. He would be more than happy to chat to you. There is more information about it on their website https://www.jumpdata.co.uk/pupil-assessment-tool. Take a look.