1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking Enhanced Provision

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mrbennett91, Mar 3, 2018.

1. mrbennett91

mrbennett91 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a student teacher that's recently moved into Reception class, and I've enhanced areas of our continuous provision to link with our theme - Dinosaurs! The learners respond positively to having the freedom to roam around the class and connect with activities as they please, however I've quickly found that some are 'completing' everything quite quickly, spend very little time in each area, or avoid certain areas altogether. What I end up with is some learners with lots of wonderful evidence of learning, and some that have completed very little!

Naturally I would like to address this in my provision planning, but there's no system in place at the moment to keep on track of who's-done-what and who's-been-where. So I was wondering if anyone had any strategies/methods they could recommend of tracking what activities an early years learner has completed? Anything that would make it much clearer to see which areas learners have engaged with and which areas they've avoided!

Thanks!

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. We'l done on recognising that some areas are not as well used and some children are not really engaging with what' on offer.
    You don' really need to track where every child has been and what they have done, you would slowly lose the will to live. The key is to know when to track (if ever), what that will achieve and what to do with what you find out.
    If you have some children flitting, you can do short tracking observations in order to find out what does interest them so that you can expand on their interests. Children flitting a lot can be bored because there's nothing that spikes their curiosity. To do a tracking observation, just sketch a plan of your room, and mark with arrows where the child goes and for how long. I emphasise that I would only do this for one or two children if it's helpful, not for all of them! Focus on one child that concerns you the most to get the idea.
    The other thing you can do is look at the areas that are popular and ask yourself why? Use your class teacher or TA to help. Ask the children why they like playing there. Do the same for the areas they don't use. Chances are there is either nothing of interest there or adults haven't modelled enough what they might do there and so don't really know.
    Getting this right is something that challenges even the most experienced teachers, because every group of children is different. So don't worry if things aren't quite right. The fact that you are reflecting on this and to make it better is a good thing. Do talk to your class teacher or mentor as well though.
    In terms of knowing the learning that comes from play, this will come over time, ensure you have opportunities to engage in play with them, and ask your TA if you have one the same. Get to know the ELGS so that you can know what you are looking for. Remember 'evidence' diet have to all be written down. Write down what is significant and you might forget, but have faith that you know some things about the children without having it written down.
    Good luck.