1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tracking computer usage

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I just had a phone call from someone who said he was calling from EE and asked if he was speaking to "whoever has been looking on our website recently". I hadn't been, and said that possibly it had been my son who is away for the weekend, so he said he would ring back in a couple of days.
    Afterwards, I thought it seemed a bit odd. I thought that websites could track internet usage and perhaps get hold of your email address that way, but how did they get our phone number, which is ex-directory?

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Lots of ways that they can be linked. if you have ever given out your address, phone no. and email address they will be linked on a database. people sell this and a lot more content.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sounds to me like a scam call which may have progressed to a request for personal details.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sounds scammy...

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

can you find the number that called you and check that on google? it will tell you where it came from.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I was always interested in who was looking at our website and where they had been directed from. It helped a lot in judging how effective our marketing campaigns were and also the likelihood of inquiries being converted into sales. Web stats will tell you which pages a visitor went to and how long how long they spent on a page. They tell you the IP address of the computer that was visiting the website and if it belongs to an organisation such as a school or business, it will often tell you which organisation it is.

It would be likely that any time you purchased something online, details such as your name, address and phone number would be linked to the computer IP address, which in turn could be collated with the web stats.

It does. That would be where my bet would be, because it would be a creepy tactic to employ for a genuine sales call and one that would result in a negative response from customers.

Nobody likes being spied on. That's not to say that an idiot sales manager, and there are plenty of them about, wouldn't utilise any tactic he could think of to win a few sales he mightn't otherwise have got.

The 1471 feature doesn't work with lines that are connected to a local exchange such as would be found in a business. It's also possible to prevent the person you call from getting caller ID.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The number was 01482971048 - having googled it, there seems to be some disagreement as to whether it is genuinely EE touting for business or whether it is scammers.

I just didn't like the way he spoke. As The Duke of York has suggested, no-one likes feeling spied on, and it did sound a bit creepy, almost like "I know what you've been looking at on your computer".

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah **** I'm in trouble... :eek:

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

IP addresses can in some circumstances identify a particular computer, but more commonly they identify an organisation or service provider.

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Sounds like a scam. Only if you left a telephone number on a website can they call you. IP addresses do not give out such information, although this is no doubt something governments will push for it soon, if not already.

It is supposed to be illegal but sites you used in good faith were indeed selling your information to others - the big offenders were the insurance comparison sites. I experienced this in reality as I use a 5 quid pay as you go number for internet sites and after checking my insurance I was called 2 days later 'about an accident you were in, we can help you with costs'. Was amusing as they could not tell me anything but what I had entered....car, my name and address. No details of any accident.

The above is a good idea though - always use a cheap mobile number online, never, ever give your landline. Makes it easier to follow who is passing on your information, too. And easier to ignore the many, many cold calls linked to sharing your info.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I never ever give my name until the caller has given theirs. Then, when they have, if I don't know and/or trust them, I [politely] tell them to eff off without giving them any more information.

What's EE?

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

There have been loads of scam calls to EE customers (moi). They try to get your details. I told one to foxtrot oscar and they haven't tried again. If EE were any good they would do something about it. As I only pay about 20+/- a bit quid a month for broadband, line rental, and calls, I havent switched.

13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Almost certainly a scam
    Whilst the background analytic systems read by most commercial sites now are able to do a fair bit of tracking back and provide quite a bit of information its is unlikely that they could track back sufficiently to provide a phone number.
    Any sold data would have to be cross-linked to an IP/user profile and that would take more effort than it is worth for such a call.

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I wonder if whoever manages Teachers' Pensions sells on members' information. Not long after triggering your pension, you get a call from Wesleyan. My wife tells me that the same happens with NHS pensions.

wanet likes this.